Chevy 305 engine code stamp location??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Chevy 305 engine code stamp location???

I am looking for the stamped code that has part of my truck's VIN in it. The engine in my truck (1998 Silverado K1500) was supposed to have been replaced with a newer 305 with less miles. I don't think the shop that I took it to actually did the swap and I am trying to find some identifying numbers or codes on the block that will prove to me whether they put a different engine in my truck or not.

I took all of the brackets off of the front of the engine today to try and find this mysterious code stamped on the front of the block under the heads but I didn't see it. Where is this elusive stamp???

So far the only numbers that I've been able to find have come off of the back of the block, on the upper lip area of the block where the transmission bolts up.

I know now that the engine is definitely a 5.0L, and I think that "K217" number is the casting date, November 21st 1997. I'm not completely sure about that though.

I found another number on the back of the block, too: 10243878. I couldn't get a picture of it because I couldn't find a way to get my camera jammed back there far enough.

None of these numbers, however, are stamped onto the block and apparently that's the number I need to find. If any of you engine gurus could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 09:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Chevy 305 engine code stamp location???

colinear welcome to team Camaro!!

I'm still at work and decided to take a 10 minute break before I leave here in a few minutes....In any case I just researched that casting number for you. And WOW!!! I learned something new today! I tried searching www.mortec.com but their website seems down. I searched on this site here. It's a camaro site I frequent. http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...es.asp?group=1

The 10243878 casting # according to the link above was in fact a 305 engine produced in trucks in 1996 & 1997. I thought Chevy dropped the 305 in all vehicles after the Camaro dropped it at the end of the 1992 model year. Then again were there any other Chevy vehicles made besides Camaro's? LOL! ........I believe you are correct with the date codes. That K217 would be November 21, 1997....

******************************Wait, hold on, hold on...The MOPAR guys hijacked the Chevy site I searched here http://www.mopar1.us/ebay/MorTec,%20...ers%20List.htm And this is what it says 10243878...305...96-98...2...Vortec truck, roller cam, one-piece rear seal.

That means if the engine code was K217 the engine would have been made November 21, 1997 for the 1998 model year. There may be a VIN # stamped on there somewhere, not sure where.....

Check the placard aka sticker on the drivers door area....Look for the production date of your truck...It it says 09/97, 10/97 you may be ok as the engine would have been made after your truck was made. If your truck was made 11/97, 12/97, 01/08 or even 02/08 it may not have been replaced......I'm not as good as some of the "hard core" experts on this site, but I can hold my own with most people in spotting a scam......

Lastly things like this really pi$$ me off if that engine was not replaced and if it still original to your truck. I'm not going to go on a rant about liars, cheats, thieves, etc. I ranted on here about a week ago about scams in the auto industry, mortgage industry, finance industry, banking industry and other issues. PLEASE PLEASE keep me updated. Hopefully one of the hard core guys and other experts will respond to this thread.

To all where would the VIN on a Vortec 305 produced in late 1997 be located? Is it the oil filer housing area? Is it the passenger side cylinder head?

Colinear, please check the production date of the vehicle and get back to me.

Thanks!!

Greg aka SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Apr 2nd, 08 at 10:29 PM. Reason: www.mortec.com, k217, thought, code
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
colinear welcome to team Camaro!!
Thanks! I 'll take a 69 RS/SS please.

Quote:
... please check the production date of the vehicle and get back to me.
I'll check this out tomorrow. Good idea. Thanks!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Colinear, please check the production date of the vehicle and get back to me.
Well, here it is:

12/97

Now if I could only find that darn engine I.D. number that is stamped on my block somewhere!!

Here's a picture of the front, passenger-side of the engine:

Where oh where is that darn stamped engine I.D. number????!!!

If it's not on the front part of the block, then where else might it be??
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 02:52 PM

It's either on the deck pad right there and if it's not, then it's been decked OR it MAY be on a pad thats right above the water pump pulley so double check that spot?

pdq67

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
It's either on the deck pad right there and if it's not, then it's been decked OR it MAY be on a pad thats right above the water pump pulley so double check that spot?

pdq67

"Decked"? It may have been if the stamped ID # is supposed to be on that flat part where the waterpump connects. Cuz it aint there. I looked real good at it and it doesn't look like it has been grinded or sanded. The texture is very similar to the surface of the rest of the block... microdimply.

Where is the pad, to which you referred, that's right above the water pump pulley? Are you talking about the area right above the timing guts cover?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:34 PM

Yes. slightly to the pass. side.

pdq67

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 11:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

The VIN may be hard to find on the engine, but given the fact your vehicle was produced 12/1997 and the engine block has a date of Nov. 21, 1997 that's not good! By the mid to late 1990's technology improved considerably from 25-30 year earlier and engines, transmissions and rear ends would not sit around very long. I don't know what week your truck was made. But with that date 12A or 12B would be very likely if the tag looked like one on a 1969 Camaro.

Is there any evidence of where you could tell the engine waould have been replaced like new anti-freeze, new oil filter, the smell of new paint, belts, hoses, etc.?? It's highly unlikely the would have found a rebuilt/remanufactured engine made 11/21/1997 but it does remain a slight possibility.

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Apr 4th, 08 at 12:11 AM. Reason: 1997
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinear View Post
the top surface of that little square pad right behind where the top water pump bolt goes into the block is where you will find the 3 digit code that tells you what the engine is.
grab some 100 grit sand paper and polish the rust off the top of that pad, right in front of the head. the last few numbers of your vin should also be there- i think the last 6 digits?
if not, then i think they started putting the vehicle vin on a flat machined pad down above the oil filter. i think.. not 100% sure on that one..
what's wrong with it? if the motor is junk, i'll buy the heads off it from ya.. i wanna try a set of vortec 305 heads out once just to see if they are any good. i've never read or heard of anyone doing anything with them, but the 96 305 with those heads made as much power and torque as the 95 350 did, so they must be ok.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The VIN may be hard to find on the engine, but given the fact your vehicle was produced 12/1997 and the engine block has a date of Nov. 21, 1997 that's not good!
It is definitely becoming more and more likely that they didn't change the engine.

Quote:
... with that date 12A or 12B would be very likely if the tag looked like one on a 1969 Camaro.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Is there any evidence of where you could tell the engine waould have been replaced like new anti-freeze, new oil filter, the smell of new paint, belts, hoses, etc.??
Nope. Nothing. That's what made me start really looking into this whole situation. I couldn't find a single indicator that the engine had been replaced... not a single nut or bolt that looked like it had been touched, no signs of any work having been done anywhere on the engine whatsoever, no fingerprints in the engine compartment, etc. The bolts on the exhaust manifold flange to the tail pipe are still rusted on!!

Quote:
It's highly unlikely the would have found a rebuilt/remanufactured engine made 11/21/1997 but it does remain a slight possibility.
It wasn't rebuilt. It was supposed to be a swap of another used engine that had less miles on it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Question: Have you confronted them (the repair shop) on this issue?

I would ask them if they still have your old core (old engine).

That engine manufacturing date of November 21, 1997 and the fact your truck was a 12/97 produced vehicle really concerns me. I'm not accusing the shop of fraud here, but for them to have found a 11/21/1997 produced engine for a 12/97 produced car is almost like having lighting strike twice in the same place.

Can you post some pictures of the engine compartment? Something smells really fishy and if there is one thing I hate with a passion it is when the possibility of fraud goes to perpetuating fraud against the consumer. For the lawyers on the website- I am not accusing the repair shop of fraud, I am just saying something stinks right now!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 10:46 AM

In what way?

Like they DIDN'T switch engines or what??

I was just interested in the VIN so haven't thought about anything else is all.

pdq67

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow night.

Other than by the oil filter where else might the engine i.d. # be?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

It should all be on that small pad in front of the cylinder head. My 1984 z/28 has the same small pad and thats where the application and partial VIN were stamped. I had to wire brush the heck out of it before I could see my stampings. It is the same on my ZZ4 crate engine also. Doesnt look like you wire brushed it in the pic.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
... I had to wire brush the heck out of it before I could see my stampings... Doesnt look like you wire brushed it in the pic.
Thanks for mentioning this! I'll get a wire brush tomorrow. Would sandpaper work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode