new 383, dead bearing and lifters! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

new 383, dead bearing and lifters!

after running the engine for like 30 minutes on the street, i noticed a light knock.

i tried locating it and after pulling wires, 1 at a time, i found the number 2 cylinder to be the problem.

i remember that the same rocker (full roller)wont getting any oil at all, the other rockers were like some get oil some a lot.

so i think the lifters are shot, (the lifters and cam werent new, like 250 miles old or so, i took em out of my other engine)

I hope i can just replace the rod bearing because i dont think the crankshaft is shot.
i noticed the knock very early.

i had a lot of detonation during driving, would that mess up the bearing, or is 30 minutes way to short to ruin a bearing?

oil pressure is excellent.

i will get a new cam and lifters, and thereby get rid of the oil consumption problem.

im happy its a bearing all the way to the front of the engine, i think ill just cut my oilpan and weld it back on it after replacing the bearing. (i dont want, and can, pull the engine again).

-what do you think?
-lack of oil at the rockers are bad lifters?
-could get away with just a new rodbearing and keep the crank as is? (i will find out soon enough when i take the rod off ofcourse).

1 more thing, i did make a big mistake by taking a stroker crank from Eagle (hardened i believe) assuming it was externally balanced, and put on extern balanced flexplate and balancer.
But i red in a catalog that all the hardened Eagle strokers are internally balanced!

its shaking , mostly at 2500rpm, i messed around with the counterweight on the balancer to see if i could make it less worse, it helped a little.

so i used extern. balanced flywheel and balancer on a intern. balanced crank

can i grind off the counterweight on the flywheel and get another balancer?

i WILL refuse to take off the transmission or lift the engine, it allready costed me way too much money, time, and health.

any suggestions are very welcome, ill give this car 1 more chance to do what i want it to do.
If not, the scrapyard will have 1 camaro for free...

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: new 383, dead bearing and lifters!

Hi Robert, I've never heard of anybody cutting the oil pan on the car and then rewelding it. Even if you did, how could you keep metal particles out of it from the cutting? Not to mention the cooked oil on the inside from the heat of welding.

I really think you should just just bite the bullet, pull the engine again, put it on a stand, and do it right.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Robert, your saying you have a new shot motor and cam but you dont want to pull it? I would advise you to pull that motor if its new as you said. Take it apart and see what is going on.

Cut your oil pan? You mean pull oil pan? Cam and lifters placed in a new motor but with lifters on the same lobe, you should not have any issues.

As for weight, need to verify what the crank set was for before you start grinding stuff.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

If your not getting oil to your lifters and cam it's possible that your cam bearings were installed incorrectly or spun. If the holes in the cam bearings are misaligned with your oil galleys then you'll lose oil flow to the top half of your engine. Also depends on which bearing is misaligned as to where the oil flow is affected. If the machine shop messed up the bearing installation then they need to repair the probelm, or you'll never get the motor/cam to last. It's pretty easy to tell if the can bearings are misaligned by running the oil pump with a priming rod. You'll have to remove the distributor and turn the oil pump with a 1/2' drill attached to the priming rod (your machine shop probably has one they should loan you, or teh auto parts store). When spinning the oil pump, you should have oil flow up through your pushrods. You may have to rotate the engine in 90 degree increments to verify oil flow to all bearing journals. SBC experts wil have to chim in and verify the last statement for me, as I've only done this trick on small block Mopars and the journals alternated oil flow depending on cam position. I know this is all complicated, but the only other option is to pull the engine to check the bearings. Of course, this only answers the cam bearing question, not why you spun a rod bearings. But it may indicate a bigger probelm that you need to fix. Sometimes it's best to walk away for a few days to cool off, speaking from personal experience. Good luck.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

if you decide to give to the junk yard (i hope you DONT) i will come get it.lol

clayton hicker
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:20 PM

u may have a cracked crank
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedude3 View Post
if you decide to give to the junk yard (i hope you DONT) i will come get it.lol
Well, i can pm you my adress, you can come and get it,

i quit, i'll find another hobby (something NON mechanical)

Z28 1984
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

A People with the guts to fight the Sea and steal land from her DON'T ****ING QUIT ROBERT.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
A People with the guts to fight the Sea and steal land from her DON'T ****ING QUIT ROBERT.
Although I am second generation American born on one side and third on the other, my ancestry is 100% Dutch.

To Tim's post, I can only add: "****ING A!!"

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Like I said earlier, take a step back and let it sit for a month or two. You'll end up regretting your decision to dump it after you've cooled off and the frustration's eased off.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

Re: new 383, dead bearing and lifters! UPDATE

here are some pics of the knocking rod-bearing (cylinder #2).

the 2nd and 3rd picture is from cylinder #1, it didnt knock but as you can see it has some severe damage!:

The crank itself is scored also ofcourse, looks like i didnt clean the crank/block good enough.

If i just put new bearings in it, would the grooves in the crank interupt the oil pressure/flow?
i.o.w.: would it be okay or would the same problem come back in a short time?

Z28 1984
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling-robert View Post
here are some pics of the knocking rod-bearing (cylinder #2).

the 2nd and 3rd picture is from cylinder #1, it didnt knock but as you can see it has some severe damage!:

The crank itself is scored also ofcourse, looks like i didnt clean the crank/block good enough.

If i just put new bearings in it, would the grooves in the crank interupt the oil pressure/flow?
i.o.w.: would it be okay or would the same problem come back in a short time?
I am sure by the looks that the oil filter bypass was not plugged letting debris into the bearings and the block was not cleaned properly before the build.

Which block are you using?? maybe a K block or it will say K on the main caps.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I love Scandinavian humor. Half of our county is Norwegian. Robert, I moved you right to the top of my favorite jokesters when I read the oil pan comment.
Now for the not-so-funny stuff. Ya gotta pull the engine and start over. Too many problems to fix in-place. Aren't these cars fun?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

scandinavian??? what are you talking about? im Dutch! (The Netherlands)

Z28 1984
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 01:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
I am sure by the looks that the oil filter bypass was not plugged letting debris into the bearings and the block was not cleaned properly before the build.

Which block are you using?? maybe a K block or it will say K on the main caps.
While I do understand what and whys of plugging oil filter bypass, I don't do this as I have had issues with a blocks that the bypass was plugged. But , I have always dictated clean engine component upon assembly, always , every part , part of the block totally washed , oil passages etc, but there is always a first.

As for the quitting, I have a saying , Winners find a Way, Losers find an Excuse!.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode