First rebuild. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
TJ

First rebuild.

I have plans to rebuild the engine in my 76. I believe it is a 350. How would i be able to actually tell if its a 305 or 350? what things should i look for as indicators? either way, it will have a 350 in it b/c i have another one from an old 86 chevy pickup. When decide to reuild it, any suggestions on books to use or where to get info or a guide on doing it? I want to build a fairly stout engine, with a top hp or about 450 or so. I just want something i can do myself, books or guides to help me, and of course, the help from all of you. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

TJ

Last edited by pfleger-man; Apr 3rd, 08 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech

Re: First rebuild.

450 horse is a tall order for a streetable 350. If you want that much horsepower that you can drive around, you might want to think about a 383, or a 400 small block. You can get the numbers off your block, and heads to decode your motor. How to build big inch small blocks is a pretty good guide. A chiltons manual will help you threw the build once you figure out what your going to do.

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
TJ

I was actually thinking about a 383, and it seems like a popular engine. Just looking for a direction to go, and some instructions on how to do it. How much work does making it a 383 involve, or should i just get a different engine? I have seen that book, and it looks very good. The reason i am asking about instructions is so when i am finished with this particular military school, i can go back to texas and start workng immediately. I want to get all parts and things ordered and waiting for me when i get home. Thanks for the input and advice.

TJ

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech

I would just buy that book, and see what you could come up with your budget. If you already have 350 block you may want to use it to save money. Its all horsepower vs. money in my book. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ild/index.html Here is some cool stuff on 383. If your budget is more or less is what makes the big deciding factor. Read,read,read, and have fun.

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Running something like this article package with exception to Scat forged profiled crank with Compstar 6.0 rods and dish Srp pistons, yielding about 9.9 on a decked block . For a cam, I went with one of Udharold 282/290 billet hydra roller grinds on a 112 Lsa. Idles very smooth, has traction issues. No dyno yet but will . Running AFR 195 street heads but would recommend the newer Eliminator heads.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech

If you are on a really tight budget, you could just use your 350 if its good, and throw some used vortecs, new cam, and used intake. You might do this for less than 1000 dollars. If you have more budget I like Dons build. What is your budget for a motor?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
TJ

I honestly havent set a limit on the rebuild, prob no more than 1500 to 2000 b4 i deploy next spring. Or, i could just do a full blown bad *** 383 when i come home after deployment. Think i will stick with a good, healthy 350 idea. Would like to have a fairly smooth ideal, traction not too big of an issue. It already has an edelbrock intake and carb. I will look for a good cam and valvetrain set to redo the heads with. Thanks for the input guys.

TJ
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: First rebuild.

I would rethink your budget. It is ALWAYS 2x what you think it will cost. If your engine is a '76 that was big time smog season. There were alot of 305's back then. Also, they installed smog heads on alot of the 350's. With that in mind, you most likely will want new heads. You are looking at a minimum of $800 for iron or $1000 for aluminum heads alone !
With that budget forget about a 383. You probably will end up with a stock rebuild and be lucky to get 300 HP.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
robert

DONt drive your engine the fisrt time with detonation, it will kill the bearings within 30 minutes... dont ask me how i know

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
TJ

Like i said, i really never set a limit on it. Just waiting to get the car, check it out, and see what upgrades i will or should make just to make it run pretty well UNTIL i get home from deployment. After deployment, i will have plenty of money, so that wont be an issue. I never said i was set to certain ideas or budget amount. I am just looking on where i should start when i get home to the car. Thats all.

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode