Motor mount headache, too much info? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Motor mount headache, too much info?

Ok, I have just finished reading most of the posts regarding motor mounts and frame mounts and all the differences. ( Including the one from Pozzi's ) My head hurts. I'm more confused than when I started.

I'm pulling the original 350 out and replacing it with a ZZ383. This change involves going from a 6 3/4 inch damper to a 8 inch damper. It appears that after taking a few measurements that the 8 inch damper will hit the sway bar.

My '69 is a 01D production so I don't know if that is early or late for a '69. It is an L65 350 it was originally a 350TH automatic.

I've decided that I need motor mounts that are narrow and measure 2 3/8 from hole to plate.
What should the measurement be for the frame stands, hole to subframe?

I'm hoping that I just need new motor mounts(or slightly thicker mounts)

Got any Excedrin handy?

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Motor mount headache, too much info?

just use the same mounts as before, and shim the sway bar down with some washers.
if you have the original 350 mounts, then an 8" balancer should clear just fine- those are the same mounts that were used for the 302, and that had the 8" balancer on it.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Eight-inch balancer required a 'dropped' swaybar about the balancer. As derrick suggests, space the swaybar down to clear the h/balancer.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

How much clearance do you need? 1/4"? Solid steel spacers between block and rubber mount, if you have the clearance. I would use the smaller balancer.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Motor mount headache, too much info?

As everyone has said, use all your original mounts (frame and motor). You allready have the correct frame mounts. Shim your swaybar down for clearance. They used that small swaybar for stock. Use the 8" balancer. There is a reason that they went to the larger balancer.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Looks like I will just get new replacement mounts and do some shimming on the sway bar.

Thanks for the good responses,

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 10:55 AM

I don't get this at all b/c I think my '67, 350SS engine had an 8" damper on it!

Darn near the same one that was on my 409 "W" engine.

I do know it had THIN 6-banger/350 wide rubber mounts that I promptly ripped right in two so I drilled and countersunk one side and bolted them back together! Never had a problem after that!

And I broke turnbuckles and straps back then...

That's how my top rad hose got cut, the MM's broke and my motor jumped up and the fan belt hit the top hose! I ended up putting a kitchen sink chrome pipe in it as a spacer, never cut it again and it's still in my trunk now after ALL these years!!

pdq67

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Paul, The SS-350's and the 302's had a special 8" balancer. This is why the 350/302's had different frame and engine mounts then the 327's. - Tom

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Tom, you said there was a reason they switched to an 8" balancer. Why is that? What is the benefit to running an 8" balancer? Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 07:21 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Tom, you said there was a reason they switched to an 8" balancer. Why is that? What is the benefit to running an 8" balancer? Thanks.
The inertia ring and polymer isolator on the "balancer" (actually a "damper" - it doesn't "balance" anything except on 454's and 400's) is designed to damp a specific range of torsional vibration at a given expected average operating rpm; higher rpm and stronger combustion pulses require different damper tuning than a standard grocery-getter.

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

So how do I know if I should switch from my current 6 3/4" damper to an 8" damper?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Motor mount headache, too much info?

An 8" balancer is larger and can absorb more engine harmonics. If you would buy a high quality aftermarket balancer, I think you could go with a smaller diameter balancer. The engine you are getting comes with an 8" balancer... that is what the factory wanted to be used. Why would you want to switch to 1960's technology ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode