Thorley headers interfering with clutch linkage - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thorley headers interfering with clutch linkage

Hey everybody, I'm a long time forum lurker, and a first time poster. I've tried my best to figure this out without resorting to adding another header thread to the forum, but I don't think I have a choice, I'll try to make it as quick as I can.

My setup:

1969, 350 with 441 oval port heads, M-21 4 speed, power steering (I think the standard steering box), power brakes, no A/C, alternator is on passenger side, running a stock suspension other than the 2" drop spindles the previous owner put on the car.

My issue:

For quite a while, I've had heat soak problem where my car gets hot and won't start for a while until it cools off. To solve that problem, I decided to upgrade the uncoated Hedman hedders to some nicer ceramic coated headers, and also upgrade the high-torque starter to a mini high-torque starter. I did loads of research on this site and decided on a set of Doug Thorley THY-376Y1-C headers which I ordered from Summit. I also ordered a powermaster starter which I had problems with but that's for another thread.

They came in, and I had a garage attempt to install them (while doing some other work), and the drivers side header interferes with the clutch linkage. During my research, I know I read SEVERAL posts from members who have a 69 small block 4 speed who use this header so why won't mine fit? The rest of the fit was awesome and tucked up very well and hung no lower than the subframe. Looks like I'll be returning them.

Summit's website said the 376 would work with a MT. Thorley's website said it would not, wish I would've looked at that before I ordered them. I just called Summit and they recommended the Doug's D375Y header, and also stated that the Thorley 376 did not even list the Camaro on the application list!

Why would the Thorley 376 headers not fit my car? Should I order the Doug's D375Y header that Summit recommended? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Thorley headers interfering with clutch linkage

I have the recommend by site, the 376y1C headers on my Z, No, No clearance issues period even on large nose factory starter. In fact the site specifically stated that all Z cars and those with manual trans use this header. I do have a asbestos wrap on the starter but do not need it. I just left it on in place when I had 2451 hang me down low Hooker headers. I can see where the incorrect mounts or stand and linkage could cause a problem but I dont see how if you are using the correct stuff. If you need photos, take a look at my signature, may be something in there , if not , pm me and I will send you some.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Don,

I knew I wasn't crazy thinking that the 376 is the "recommended" header for my 69 SB with 4 speed. Still don't understand why it works for you and others but not for me. I did PM you.

Derek

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 08:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascardad View Post
Don,

I knew I wasn't crazy thinking that the 376 is the "recommended" header for my 69 SB with 4 speed. Still don't understand why it works for you and others but not for me. I did PM you.

Derek
You have email with lots of photos. Here is David's site: http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Don,

It is my Z bar that is hitting one of the header tubes.

I'll take a look at the motor mounts and Z bar on Monday (since the garage is closed for the weekend) and see if that is the problem. Pozzi's website looks really helpful, thanks for the link. I'm still in contact with the previous owner who restored the car, so I may ask him if it's a possibility that the mounts or z-bar (or both) are incorrect big block versions.

Thanks again for your help!

Derek
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 08, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

nascardad - how did this end up? I am facing potentially the same issue and would like to know what I am getting into. I sent you a PM.

Murph
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 08, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Murph,

Well, it didn't work out. My z-bar turned out to be the correct one for my car. I don't know if maybe my engine block mounts might have been incorrect or if something else was the cause of the problem, but the z-bar definitely interfered with the headers. I still have the brand new thorleys with the box and everything, I need to return them to Summit Racing or sell them or something. My mechanic wound up finding a set of cheapie jegs ceramic coated headers that he thought would work, and I got so frustrated with the whole deal that I told him to just go ahead and do that. They worked out okay although they didn't tuck up nearly as well as the thorleys did. Although the thorleys never got fully installed, since the z-bar couldn't go on, I did see how well they fit up under the car. Sure would have been nice it they would have worked.

I am surprised to hear that they didn't work with your automatic transmission. I thought everybody with an automatic never had a problem with the tri y's.

Good luck,

Derek
(Nascardad)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 08, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Derek, sorry to hear they didn't work out. I have the Thorley 376's on my 68 with a manual trans and poly motor mounts, fits great.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode