Spark Plug Choice And Gap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Question Spark Plug Choice And Gap

I bought some new spark plugs and would like someone's opinion on the gap needed. I have a 383 with Holley aluminum heads (Sytemax II), Lunati cam with 235 degree intake duration and 245 exhaust duration at .050 with a .490 and .500 lift. I have 1.6 roller rockers with a Holley Avenger 770 carb. I have an MSD HEI distibutor model # 8360 and a traditional cylindrical coil. The plugs are AC/Delco #5. It is a street car and never sees the track. Is this plug of the right temp and what gap is recommended? Thanks! DeAngelo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Spark Plug Choice And Gap

Don't know what the seating to head seal looks like on a #5, I will guess this is an AC Rapidfire plug, taper seat? If its not, and its the newer type small plug with a gasket, I would use Autolite 3924. . You can get these at Autozone.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

With an HEI, you'll want an 035 to 040 gap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangelo66 View Post
I bought some new spark plugs and would like someone's opinion on the gap needed. I have a 383 with Holley aluminum heads (Sytemax II), Lunati cam with 235 degree intake duration and 245 exhaust duration at .050 with a .490 and .500 lift. I have 1.6 roller rockers with a Holley Avenger 770 carb. I have an MSD HEI distibutor model # 8360 and a traditional cylindrical coil. The plugs are AC/Delco #5. It is a street car and never sees the track. Is this plug of the right temp and what gap is recommended? Thanks! DeAngelo
I would see what type of plug Holley reccomends. I know with my Brodix heads I had to find a plug with a 3/4" reach.

1991 Camaro RS, 355 cid, 10.5:1 CR, Scat crank, Speed Pro flat tops, Brodix IK180's. Comp XE268, 1.6 rockers, Perf RPM Air Gap, 650DP Quick Fuel, Hedman long tubes, BTO Level 2 700R4, 3.73 w/ posi.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, it is a Rapid Fire Ac/Delco plug. I will check the Holley site and see what they say as well. Is this a decent spark plug? Thanks for all of your help! DeAngelo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 10:21 PM

Mister here are some recommendations.
Gap your plugs 0.45 and get a spark plug that is one heat range colder FROM WHAT HOLLEY RECOMMENDS for a starting point and then read your plugs.
Keep in mind.
[Small gap more rpm's rougher idle.Wider gap better idle, more hp!]
You got a lot of duration for the street.I use NGK V GROOVE NON PLATINUM PLUGS is what i would recommend.Also i would try to have the car dynoed for the correct jetting in the carb.In Total timing 38* at 3000rpm.
To get the best driveability on the street.
Here is a nice article on it.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...est/index.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Here is a place where you can cross reference your plugs for future help: http://www.clubplug.net/cross.html

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks, Paul and pat. I am going to put the plugs in as soon as it stops raining! Thx for all of your help. DeAngelo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

FYI I chose the Autolite 3923. I wanted a little colder plug than the 3924. And I gapped it at .045 with initial timing at 12 degrees. It runs GREAT!! I had the AC Rapid fires but for some reason, I had to drop the timing to 6 degrees to keep it from bogging and knocking. Weird. Even after I dropped the timing to 6 degrees with the Rapid Fires, it ran pretty well but it broke up after 4 grand. That's when I took the Rapid Fires out and put in the Autolites. Now it is running like a top! Thanks, D
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I been playin with SBC's since I was a little bitty feller and I have always had luck with Autolites one way er 'nother. good choice.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thx, Wiskee. The Autolites have been VERY good to my SBC! D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode