97 silverado 350 vortec lifter trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy 97 silverado 350 vortec lifter trouble

I need some advice maybe some of you fellows have seen this. My son has a 97 silverado 4 wheel drive with a 350 vortec engine. About a month ago he let it sit for a few days four I think,when he returned and cranked it up he heard alot of lifter noise for a few seconds. After that everytime he cranked it cold they seem to be getting worse and taking longer to quiten down and they finally kept rattling even after it got hot. Now about a month b-fore this the engine got hot around 250 for about a mile then he shut it off, also about a month b-fore all of this started he had dual exhaust put on. I asked him if he revved it up several times to hear the exhaust he admitts to reving it a few times, but not enough to float the valves if you can do that with roller lifters I don,t know. Now I pulled the v/c on the passenger side found 2 rocker arms completely loose adjusted them ran it a couple of minutes then cut the engine off. I waited about thirty minutes when back to the shop and the were completely loose again pulled the intake and drivers v/c and found a couple loose on that side. I just have not ever seen 4 or 5 lifters go bad at one time. Also just by feeling the cam the lobes seem to feel fine also the engine is holding as good oil psi as ever and yes when it running the rocker arms are oiling.Can anyone shine any light on this, is it just a fluke and all I need is new lifters or do I need to look at the oil pump and cam bearing even through it says it has good oil pressure, oh and the valve springs look good. I did call a couple of dealerships and talked with the service manager and he said they have had no cam or lifter problems out of these engines. Any direction you fellows can give me I would appericate,THANKS,Sorry so long but I was tring to give as much infromation as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: 97 silverado 350 vortec lifter trouble

Have you done an oil/filter change?

Tim Smith
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 03:56 PM
Bill

hide,
Those engines dont have a lot of problems with lifters. It does sound like some trash might have gone through the engine and gotten in the lifters I would pull the filter and cut it open to see if there is any metal in it. That would tell you if you have serious problems or not. I certainly would not hurt to change the oil and filter and use an AC Delco filter and see what happens. Is there any sign of water in the oil ? Dont know how many miles are on it, but if its a 97, and the intake gaskets have not been replaced, they are certainly due.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Have change oil twice and that didn,t help plus ran some engine cleaner through it. The intake gasket is where it was leaking water that caused it to run hot to begin with. I am ashamed to say I put some stop leak in the engine and it DID stop the intake gasket from leking, it was leaking at the left front corner but did stop, any other suggestions.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 06:51 AM

Sounds like it's time for a set of OEM lifters and also check the cam and timing set over too while you are at it.. Maybe valve springs too??

Might be dirt??

Add a quart of good old MMO and drive her EASY for several days and see if it doesn't clean out and keep the lifters pumped up??

Donno otherwise??

pdq67

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Deb's 96 Burban with a 350 Vortec at about 300,000 miles now raises hell. Always has. Has always used water until she put stop leak in it. It used to shutup after awhile, I always considered it to be piston slap. Now sometimes it raises hell as long as it pleases and sometimes it is quiet. She is supposed to bring it over and oil/filter so I can service it for a couple months now, but she don't get too worried so neither do I.

I just disassembled/cleaned a set of hydraulic rollers out of a free vortec 305 with 69k miles. Those were the stuckest lifters I've ever seen, evry stinkin one of em. No wear at all, in fact they are beautiful. They just had black crap packed full and it was murder taking them apart. The PO of the 305 had a buddy of mine install a crate GM 305 because of the stuck lifters. My buddy gave me the old engine. The cyls are perfect, I am going to do a $79 overhaul, I already have the rings and bearings. Too bad it's a 305.

Tim Smith
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 06:14 PM
Bill

Hide,
Lifters are not too bad, about $8 ea if I remember. Dont let the intake gasket go too long, it will leak again and can get in the oil. Once you see what the crappy factory gasket looks like, you will see why they leak. Use the updated Fel Pro replacement. Part number is MS96000T

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have the new gaskets and I am going to replace the lifters ,they came from Carquest and was $150.00 so if anyone can think of anything please let me know as I will be closing it up on Wednesday, Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I may be mistaken, but how about the water valve(?) on the pass rear side?

I do remember my neighbor having to remove the manifold to completely remove the valve due to it corroding and leaking.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 06:23 PM
Bill

Heater hose quick disconnect on the front. Might as well do it now, it will need it sooner or later

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Got the new lifters in and that stopped the noise ,engine runs great. However it has a slight hestation on take off, and giving a PO1345 code--ck colleration problem, in other words the dist is not in right. I have talked to a friend at a chevy dealer and he has went over the installation of this dist but I have tried 4 times and still getting the same code,could I need something else .Out on the road it runs the best just has a hestation on a slow take off. I have never had this kind of Dist problem and I have the Dist installation prodecure in print, any suggestions
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 05:51 PM

aint that the plastic dist with the locating pin???if so, it only goes in one way with no adj...(but i may be thinkin of the 4.3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode