just curious 406+++ - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

just curious 406+++

I seen a couple of builds using a 406 short block with vortec heads and rpm intake making about 430 horse and 525ft/lb of torque. I already have the heads and intake etc...what would happen if you put the same combo on a bigger short block(say a 434) How much horse are the heads good for? My ultimate plan would be to buy a short block, make good horse and torque numbers, and be able to upgrade heads, intake, etc... later on. thanks

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 04:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: just curious 406+++

The Vortecs have their limits and I think if you're looking for torque then they're the ticket.
230cc head would be best on a 434 IMO... but a smaller head will still work.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 04:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

The Vortechs aren't going to flow enough for a big difference in HP between a 406 and a 434. You will see more torque with that big arm in there though.

If you are putting a new rotating assembly in the block then i would stroke it...there usually isn't much difference in parts between 406 and 421-427-434. just some clearancing and an oil pan kinda stuff

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I just seen you could buy 406-434 short blocks. I already have everything set up for sb, so I would be pretty much just putting a new short block. Do you build a 434 pretty much the same as some of the 406 builds you see as far as cam etc...any 434 builds to look at somewhere? I see tons of 406 builds in chevy hi performance etc.. but not much on 434s

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 08, 10:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincat View Post
Well I just seen you could buy 406-434 short blocks. I already have everything set up for sb, so I would be pretty much just putting a new short block. Do you build a 434 pretty much the same as some of the 406 builds you see as far as cam etc...any 434 builds to look at somewhere? I see tons of 406 builds in chevy hi performance etc.. but not much on 434s
You will have to check to make sure the cam isn't going to get hit by a rod, if so you have to use a small base circle cam. The block will have to be clearanced, and a kicked out oil pan will have to be used.

I recommend using a good piston-JE, SSRP, Ross, someone like that. I would imagine the side load on the piston is pretty steep and piston speed is certainly higher than a 350.

Call a cam company and see what they recommend. I am using DART Iron Eagle 215's that have been touched up a little and a Pete jackson gear drive. Flat tappet solid lifter cam.

Intake is a Victor Jr with 850 DP carb. Will get 600 HP on pump gas (or very close). 1 and 3/4 primaries on the headers.3 inch exhaust.

the car of course has to be built to use the pwer the engine is making effectively.....all steel 68 with cal tracs, 4.10 gear, 3500 stall converter (3800 really) in a THM 350

I am using a SCAT rotating assembly with JE pistons in mine. Short block is done.

If you are going to spray it something stronger in the bottom end will be a wise investment to get a callies crank or similar.....they are $$$.

sure, nothing wrong with building a good short block and upgrading heads and cams and induction/exhaust later.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech

Vortec heads will really wake up a stocker early 350. They will help on a 400. On a 434 I think you will be back to the equivalent of a stock head on a 350. Not saying the power numbers of a 350, but the efficiency numbers.

Think about how big the valves are on a BBC.

A larger bore will make a valve able to flow more due to unshrouding.

A smaller bore will be more efficient than a bigger bore if the same valve size is used. So in order to make up for the lower efficiency, you need to size up the heads or else throwing more cubes at it won't have as much effect. Look at some of the SBFords made. They were 4" bore, short stroke, and a stupid small valve stock. Look what happens to them when you put a 1.90 or 2.02/1.60. They wake up real fast. Now imagine you put those same 2.02 heads on a 460. Do you think people would still pay $1000+ for the minimal efficiency increase here? Not unless they are ricers...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 12:05 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

If you are planning on building anything with a stroke longer than 3,80 you will want to consider strongly an aftermarket block. Once you go beyond that stroke (412-415 cid depending on bore) you begin to start running into clearance issues. Also you'll benefit from the thicker cylinder walls of an aftermarket block as the thrust sides of the cylinders begin to get loaded pretty well as the stroke goes up and you've probably already bored it .030. You can help this cause by running longer rods, but the ring package begins to get pretty tight, 1" or less on the real long strokes which begins to create other issues. I have enough into my stock 400 block now that I really should've just bought a Dart aftermarket block.

There's a reason you see so many 406 builds, they are easy to do. The grief and cost versus the payoff may not be worth it to you to go bigger, unless you really plan on spending a lot of time checking clearances and matching components. Otherwise you won't gain a lot as others have already said. Vortecs wouldn't be a consideration for me on a 400 or larger motor. They'll work, but they won't be optimal IMO. It's a matter of what you can live with.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks fellas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode