Engine cleaning - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Engine cleaning

I have had several mechanics over the years tell me that substituting a quart of ATF for oil when changing the oil will have a cleaning affect on the inside of the engine. Would anyone still recommend this? The oil in my car seems to change color in a relatively short time (about 1000 miles). Has anyone ever done this with any success?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Berry

Re: Engine cleaning

I have heard the same, interested to see the responses on this one.

Its cheaper to be poor!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

There is a racer here that substitutes 1 or 2 quarts of diesel fuel in place of engine oil. He runs it for a minute or less and then lets it set for a couple of hours before draining and refilling. I called him on it and he invited me over and proved it. He says he does this every 10000 to 15000 miles. I also knew a guy that used 1 quart of ATF each oil change and never had any issues. I can't tell you the results because I never did see the inside of his engine but the one that used diesel fuel definitely had clean internal parts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 11:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I once had a cutlass that was so sludged up it blew huge clouds of smoke, the only place for the oil in the heads to go was down the valveguides! Drain holes were completely sludged up.

I put 2 quarts of kerosene in the crankcase, let it idle for 30 minutes, drained and changed the oil (twice)

No more sludge, no more smoke.

Note I was young, broke, and foolish. I don't recommend this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 12:17 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I've used Jet A to flush out a sbc that I broke pushrods and rocker arms in. But that was just flushing it with the intake off and letting it run out the oil pan. I drained it all, then filled with oil, ran a few minutes, drained again and filled with fresh oil and filter. Jet fuel, diesel, kerosene is all basically the same, just cut a little differently. I don't think I'd run the motor with any added to the oil though. Like Jim said we've all done things when we're young and inexperienced, but knowing what we know now I'm not sure i'd try what you're asking.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I once had a cutlass that was so sludged up it blew huge clouds of smoke, the only place for the oil in the heads to go was down the valveguides! Drain holes were completely sludged up.

I put 2 quarts of kerosene in the crankcase, let it idle for 30 minutes, drained and changed the oil (twice)

No more sludge, no more smoke.

Note I was young, broke, and foolish. I don't recommend this.
Well, you did say it worked for you. I wouldn't be afraid to try it but for only a minute or less. Have you ever taken note of what the "young, broke, and foolish" tried and got away with? A bunch of us were out one summer night and one guy ended up with a leak in a radiator hose on his Dads Jeep. Wasn't real bad but enough it was overheating and we needed to get it back to town. All we had was beer, so we put USED beer in the radiator. It got us back to the gas station where I worked but it stunk so bad we had to flush the system with the doors up. I wouldn't WANT to do that again but I would if I HAD to.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I've done stuff to engines that were in imminent need, never to a good engine.

I don't think I ever did the atf and if I did the results were evidently not impressive. I've done marvel mystery oil to a few, it's good for sticky guides/stems.

I reckon the most impressive results I ever saw was from pouring a gallon or 2 of B12 into the crankcase of a running engine. Talk about making a damn mess of everything, I mean the black junk just starts going everywhere. Still had to overhaul them. Bear in mind a gallon or 2 is nothing on my engines, that's not even the ADD mark on a 110 gallon oil pan.

What I do to smaller engines that I think get dirty too fast is a quicky oil change... anything from a few minutes to a day or 2 and do it again. Been doing this to little Briggs engines for a longdam time, and it keeps them clean. I've even done quicky changes on big bastards when they get a dose of something evil like a barrel or 2 of antifreeze in the pan, saltwater etc.

Something I have ALWAYS done on car engines is to dump the remains of my quart I primed my filter with straight thru the pan and out the drain, just for a little rinse. Try it sometime. Fill the filter and then dump the rest in the VC and get underneath with your filter and look at the dirty oil that is coming out and if you watch you can see the new start to come out with some old strung out in it. Put the drain plug when it quits or runs clean whichever is first.

Tim Smith
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 07:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

marvel mystery oil is actually ATF
now there isnt a mystery.
5 minute motor flush is kerosene
and just think of the big bucks you paid for this stuff over the years

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Send a message via AIM to Dale8346

I would NEVER do it. NEVER.
And Marvels Mystery Oil is not ATF. LOL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
I've done stuff to engines that were in imminent need, never to a good engine.

I don't think I ever did the atf and if I did the results were evidently not impressive. I've done marvel mystery oil to a few, it's good for sticky guides/stems.

I reckon the most impressive results I ever saw was from pouring a gallon or 2 of B12 into the crankcase of a running engine. Talk about making a damn mess of everything, I mean the black junk just starts going everywhere. Still had to overhaul them. Bear in mind a gallon or 2 is nothing on my engines, that's not even the ADD mark on a 110 gallon oil pan.

What I do to smaller engines that I think get dirty too fast is a quicky oil change... anything from a few minutes to a day or 2 and do it again. Been doing this to little Briggs engines for a longdam time, and it keeps them clean. I've even done quicky changes on big bastards when they get a dose of something evil like a barrel or 2 of antifreeze in the pan, saltwater etc.

Something I have ALWAYS done on car engines is to dump the remains of my quart I primed my filter with straight thru the pan and out the drain, just for a little rinse. Try it sometime. Fill the filter and then dump the rest in the VC and get underneath with your filter and look at the dirty oil that is coming out and if you watch you can see the new start to come out with some old strung out in it. Put the drain plug when it quits or runs clean whichever is first.

Say Wolf, I have a couple of questions...what is B12? Also, it is obvious you are working with big diesel engines but nothing in the mines I worked at had anything that held anywhere near that much oil in the crankcase. What are you using these engines on?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic

How about something like seafoam?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Say Wolf, I have a couple of questions...what is B12? Also, it is obvious you are working with big diesel engines but nothing in the mines I worked at had anything that held anywhere near that much oil in the crankcase. What are you using these engines on?
B12 Chemtool, (and I didn't buy it Dawg). It's just engine overhaul in a can is all. About 20-25 years ago they wanted us to run the crap through em before overhauling because some weenie said it worked one time. It just made a violent mess is all I saw of it. Hey I was young, thought it was cool. Had endless energy and didn't mind cleaning the damn mess.

I work on Natural Gas Engines and Nat Gas Compressors. Big bastards. These are spark ignited engines that have one helluva lot in common with gasoline engines, except our junk runs tighter clearances proportionally speaking for the most part. I do 6" cranks all the time that run on .002 to .003. Then sometimes I do 7" cranks that have .009-11 on aluminum bearings. Our engines are from 3 to over 10,000 cubic inches and weigh from 2,000 to way over 30,000#. My bread and butter is V-12's and V-16's that weigh about 20K. Of course my real bread and butter is the compressor end and understanding the whole damthing and customers needs. But most of our problems are engine related.

Y'all got a ton of compressors in Wyoming. I have worked up there. They send my *** everywhere, but I don't go overseas anymore.

No, Marvel Mystery oil is not ATF. Feel...Smell...Taste, Jabernauk.(cheech n chong) damgood ting we no step in uh?

Tim Smith
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 09:20 PM

I put 1 quart of atf the day befor I do my oil change. (BUT)!! only on motors with 50,000 miles or more. I have done it for about 20 years now. When it came time for a new cam or intake swap, the motors looked like new on the inside. Most folks have there own idea on the subject...This is just mine.........

Travis
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

ATF (to the best of my knowledge) is a high detergent oil alot of mechanics used to say to run it for a few 100 miles before your next oil change to help clean up the engine internals.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode