Welding Cylinder Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Welding Cylinder Heads

Hey gang,

I have a fairly rare casting that is not holding pressure. It is leaking in an apparent weld or repair in one of the combustion chambers.

Is this something I can have welded easily? What do I need to know to have a local shop weld it up for me, and what should this cost?

thanks
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Welding Cylinder Heads

This is a tough one. Welding cast iron is definitely for an Industrial Shop - more likely a Foundry or one with a Furnace. The whole cylinder head has to be heated cherry red for weld repair to fuse properly and you will have to re-machine about every aspect of the casting due to warping during the process. Any other way is very chancy as you do not want failure that will drop debre into a cylinder.

If anyone else has had success with this one I too would like to hear it.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

As above the heads should be bolted to a plate to prevent ditortion during weld
Special rods are used for the welding and the heads are cooled slowly in a furnice/oven

The crackes have to be opened up with a grinder etc

I worked for a while in a engining shop that did this sort of stuff and metal spraying etc
Was shown and did many cast and aluminuim items
At home have successfully done things like cast exhaust manifolds/ cast pot bellys and stuff like that.. using the gas axe and a mig and bolting to a plate/old head

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Hank

My friend (owns a cyl head shop) sends cracked cast iron cylinder heads somewhere back east ,,does good work.
If you are interested I can get this info?

MBHD

Chevy 250 turbo EFI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I saw a process that was interesting on iron heads basically where they drill into the crack and drive a special small pin into it, then grind the head off the pin flush with the head surface rinse and repeat a whole bunch of times along the entire length of the crack. They could even repair cracks around the seat as well with this method. Was supposed to be superior to welding the head since it wouldn't distort it and just as strong.

If you have it welded it *will* need to be machined again to be straight and true.

Ed

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

My uncle did this work in the 60's & '70's, in Colo IA.

Fifty-five gallon drums cut in half & hinged for the gas-fired oven, two heads per oven.

As Ron said, bake head to cherry red, brazed with nickel rod, let set in oven for another couple hours, then turn off fire and let cool overnight. Pull out and machine the seats, new guides, and resurface just enough to clean the deck.

Most anything cast iron. Always made an oven to fit.
Always had a tanned face year around. So did my cousin & nephew.

It is a learned art. Check yellow pages for weld shops doing cast iron repair, they will be the older establishments, sometimes. Tech schools may know of these shops.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Had this done many years ago by someone that heated the head but used brass or copper , up behind the valve bowl area. These were old double hump race cast iron head. Basically needed the head to hold water pressure and that it did. Man was from Mexico and did lots of head and block welding. Large equiptment stuff. $50-75 but that was 20-30 years ago.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
I saw a process that was interesting on iron heads basically where they drill into the crack and drive a special small pin into it, then grind the head off the pin flush with the head surface rinse and repeat a whole bunch of times along the entire length of the crack. They could even repair cracks around the seat as well with this method. Was supposed to be superior to welding the head since it wouldn't distort it and just as strong.

If you have it welded it *will* need to be machined again to be straight and true.
I had a set of heads fixed just this way. I ran a blower and it cut between two cylenders. It was ok for the five years I had the motor. Ran the same blower back on it. The pins worked realy well for me.

Travis
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1 View Post
I had a set of heads fixed just this way. I ran a blower and it cut between two cylenders. It was ok for the five years I had the motor. Ran the same blower back on it. The pins worked realy well for me.

Travis
Called stiching, good process.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 04:58 PM

Yes, "stitch-pinning" is the fix.

http://www.locknstitch.com/

Please use the link b/c you can do this yourself if you want to.

And there is a place called The Chapin Welding and Machine Shop or whatever it's name is(??) in Chapin, IL that furnace welds heads and all sorts of cast-iron, or at least the last time I asked anybody from central IL to verify if they were still in business and I think they are.

Back like about '68, I stood by the guy that was furnace welding a big diesel head as he did the repair!

Like standing next to "the Door to Hell!"

WAY cool how this is done by me..

pdq67

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 06:08 PM
Team Member
John

http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode