Trying To Dial In My Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Trying To Dial In My Engine

I've been in the process of restoring the interior of my 67. Now that I'm getting close to finishing that, that means I'll get to drive it around again!

I changed my spark plugs, they were missing the crush washers for one. One wire was hitting my header, so it got a tad fried near the boot, and all I mean ALL were coated with oil. No leaks from the valve cover gasket at all. It idles good, but when you rev it up into the higher RPM's it back fires out the carb. This was after I replaced the plugs. This is the stock block 350/295hp for my 67 SS 350, it was supposedly rebuilt and bored .30 over around 30k miles ago. Completely stock long block with aftermarket bolt ons like intake, carb, headers, MSD, etc. What do you guys think?

Jason

My Cars:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: Trying To Dial In My Engine

if it didnt back fire before. than you got wires crossed.or it needs to be timing out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I agree with Bill, sounds like you might have gotten a wire crossed.

Also, those wires need to be replaced, at least the one that burned on the header.
How long's it been since she had a good thorough tuneup?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, I agree that you should start with thorough tuneup, plus a set of good wires that will allow clearance for headers. If necessary, get a set of shorty spark plugs.

Double check firing order - 18436572 - clockwise on the dizz.

I'm surprised you can hear the backfiring, with all that awesome sound damping you got!

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech

1. Welcome to owning a hotrod.

2. There are two type types of hotrod owners. There are those that work on their cars and fix everything themselves, and those that have a mechanic do it. There is nothing wrong with either type. Only, one will spend a lot more money than the other, and one will be more likely to own their hotrod for a longer time.

Allright, I'll get to my point. I work on my Camaro more than I drive it. I have all of the bells and whistles, bolt ons, and engineering into to it like you wouldn't believe. Not to mention some well thought out spent $$$ too.

And no, this isn't a response for jay'srs/ss alone.

Go through all of the basics. I run into problems like you are having more often than not. And I end up chasing my tail trying to find what is wrong, only to find out it was something basic.

I do however have somewhat of a checklist for tracking problems.
-Start with voltage. Trace it all the way to the plugs. That means battery, grounds, plug wires, dist. cap, pickup, rotor, and plugs.
-Check your TDC mark on the balancer and then check timing with a timing light. Make sure it doesn't start advancing until above idle. Then plot it every 500 RPM until it is all in. With that being said, never trust your timing light. If you have checked everything else here go back to this one.
-Check for fuel. Check pressure, filter, that the tank has gas, float levels and then mixture. I doubt this is jay'srs/ss's problem, but you never know. Carbs can do something goofy things when they are having issues, lean spikes etc.
-Check all the rocker arms for looseness or play. Make sure none of the pushrods are bent or adjustment nuts backed off. Make sure none are too tight. I once broke 3 exhaust rocker studs and could barely tell. No tick nothing. I run stud girdles and luckily the there was still enough stud left, the rockers stayed on the pushrods, and it didn't grenade on me. I felt beld for cursing at the carb that day...Sorry miss Holley.
-If you don't have one already, get a vacuum gauge and set the mixture. It sounds easy enough, but it takes years of practice to do it right. And, it takes even more years to learn what right really is. A quick shortcut in the learning curve is to invest in an AFR gauge.

I have been doing this for years, and read and study about cars on average an hour a day, (at least since the internet). I still get stumped for a few hours on some of the dumbest things. I start to take for granted what I have learned, and overlook the easy in search of a problem more deserving of my ability level. But hey, spark plugs still go bad, as do rotors, and carb gaskets.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
if it didnt back fire before. than you got wires crossed.or it needs to be timing out.
It did back fire before, but my mechanic addressed that when I had my new gas tank and fuel lines put in. It was traced back to a different wire that had melted from the headers. It was fixed and was fine after that. I've got a nifty wire holder that holds the wires close to the valve covers. So it'd be near impossible to cross the wires. Plus I did them one at a time, so it's not that I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I agree with Bill, sounds like you might have gotten a wire crossed.

Also, those wires need to be replaced, at least the one that burned on the header.
How long's it been since she had a good thorough tuneup?
I do need new wires, something that'll clear these headers. They're Hooker Comp's that I had JetHot Coated.

And when you say tune up, what exactly would that include? Cause everything besides the long block is new. I have literaly replaced everything but the heads, block, and internals of said parts. Here's a pic of my engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
Yeah, I agree that you should start with thorough tuneup, plus a set of good wires that will allow clearance for headers. If necessary, get a set of shorty spark plugs.

Double check firing order - 18436572 - clockwise on the dizz.

I'm surprised you can hear the backfiring, with all that awesome sound damping you got!

-
I'll look into the shorty wires. And yes it's hard to anything besides bass, I can barely hear my Flowmasters anymore.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!

My Cars:

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluciano77 View Post
1. Welcome to owning a hotrod.

2. There are two type types of hotrod owners. There are those that work on their cars and fix everything themselves, and those that have a mechanic do it. There is nothing wrong with either type. Only, one will spend a lot more money than the other, and one will be more likely to own their hotrod for a longer time.

Allright, I'll get to my point. I work on my Camaro more than I drive it. I have all of the bells and whistles, bolt ons, and engineering into to it like you wouldn't believe. Not to mention some well thought out spent $$$ too.

And no, this isn't a response for jay'srs/ss alone.

Go through all of the basics. I run into problems like you are having more often than not. And I end up chasing my tail trying to find what is wrong, only to find out it was something basic.

I do however have somewhat of a checklist for tracking problems.
-Start with voltage. Trace it all the way to the plugs. That means battery, grounds, plug wires, dist. cap, pickup, rotor, and plugs.
-Check your TDC mark on the balancer and then check timing with a timing light. Make sure it doesn't start advancing until above idle. Then plot it every 500 RPM until it is all in. With that being said, never trust your timing light. If you have checked everything else here go back to this one.
-Check for fuel. Check pressure, filter, that the tank has gas, float levels and then mixture. I doubt this is jay'srs/ss's problem, but you never know. Carbs can do something goofy things when they are having issues, lean spikes etc.
-Check all the rocker arms for looseness or play. Make sure none of the pushrods are bent or adjustment nuts backed off. Make sure none are too tight. I once broke 3 exhaust rocker studs and could barely tell. No tick nothing. I run stud girdles and luckily the there was still enough stud left, the rockers stayed on the pushrods, and it didn't grenade on me. I felt beld for cursing at the carb that day...Sorry miss Holley.
-If you don't have one already, get a vacuum gauge and set the mixture. It sounds easy enough, but it takes years of practice to do it right. And, it takes even more years to learn what right really is. A quick shortcut in the learning curve is to invest in an AFR gauge.

I have been doing this for years, and read and study about cars on average an hour a day, (at least since the internet). I still get stumped for a few hours on some of the dumbest things. I start to take for granted what I have learned, and overlook the easy in search of a problem more deserving of my ability level. But hey, spark plugs still go bad, as do rotors, and carb gaskets.
lluciano77,

Thanks for the extremely informative post! Up until recently I have been Hot Rod owner #2, the guy that pays someone else to do the work. I'm 26 about to be 27, and in my life time I haven't learned as much as I should've mechanically speaking. My Dad has always had muscle cars while I was growing up. I'd watch him work on them when I was young, even help with lil stuff. But when I got my Camaro at 19, he had paid his dues and was done working on cars to a certain extent. Which I can understand, so many years of wrenching could do that to someone. He did help me a lot, with my Camaro it mostly came down to my schedule wouldn't allow me to finish certain parts of the restoration in the time I wanted it done. It was either pay the labor, or wait a long long before I could drive my Camaro. So I paid, but I'm not paying anymore!!!

I got a basic set of tools a few years ago, that way my dad doesn't hound me about his tools missing. I try to read up as much as possible, on the net mostly, about mechanics. I watch every DIY auto related show on TV, gotta love Tivo! So I'm still green as a blade of grass when it comes to some stuff. But I can turn a wrench, I'm not afraid to learn, and my love for cars will keep me going. But I've never rebuilt a carb, never bled my brakes, never used a timing lite or anything like that. But I'm getting there!

With the help of this forum I've been able to get more involved in my cars restoration, than just writing a check. And I will continue to get more involved as time goes on. Not to just keep money in my bank account, but to have the self pride of knowing I can do it!

My Cars:

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode