Help 1977 camaro smoking everywhere - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Help 1977 camaro smoking everywhere

I recently took my 77 camaro lt 305 to be repaired. I spent over $1200 one of the thing they "fixed" was oil was leaking into the #8 cylinder and the changed out the spark plug, valve gasket. Anyway now when I drive there is gray exhaust coming out of the muffler and engine compartment. I have taken it back 3 times and each time they habe told me it the oil needs to burn off. Last time the told me to add restore into the engine to help with the burn off. I live in Phoenix and drive round trip 20miles a day. Is this correct how long should it take to burn off. Is there something else going on that is going to cause more damage if I drive the car. I am totally broke now so I have no money to take it to somewhere else to look at it. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: Help 1977 camaro smoking everywhere

post more of what work was done to your car ... post at least the engine work that was done ... Then, we can let you know what work can potentially result in the symptoms you are still seeing. Sometimes oil can spill or leak and will have to burn off of some of the hot surfaces. If you consult someone local, you may be able to use a pressure washing system to clean your engine, and then assess what developes after that. I am not saying just go to a car wash and spray your engine because you have to exercise some care about where and how hard you spray...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

You mention oil leaking into the no. 8 cylinder. Did they replace the valve seals or a valve cover gasket ? If they replaced the valve seals they may have pinched the valve cover gasket. Grey smoke sounds more like water burning. Is the coolant "clean" or is it milky ? If they removed the head, did they replace the head gasket ? For $1200.00 that engine should purr and run like new.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I not a mechanic so I dont know a lot about cars. Then changed the head gasket, distributor, new radiator, the #8 spark plug had oil in it the said from the valve gasket leaking. They cleaned the engine, also the did some work on the carburator it is idling high, I can adjust to to get the idle down still smokes, They said there would be smoke coming from the exhaust til the oil burned off and this has been over 2 weeks. So now I'm getting really concerned something bad is happening and I got jacked
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Kyle

hmm the smoke smells like what? sweet? you said white so that would negate oil usually. the smoke is coming out of the exhaust you said i believe do you have dual exhaust and its coming from specifically one side or the other or do you have single exhaust.. you should take out the spark plugs and look at em a bit maybe post some pictures of them so we can help you figure out whats happening in your cylinders.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

its smells like exhaust nothing sweet about it, the smoke seems to be a lite gray not dark, Its a dual exhaust I believe its just coming out of the right, but I could be wrong. It doestn do it right away usually about 10 minutes after driving then it a steam and when I'm at a light the car is smokling like a chimney, I wish I could take the spark plug out but I dont know how or which one is #8
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

anyone have any ideas what is going on. Please Help
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

If your exhaust is factory style, then you've got a single exhaust that splits after the converter into duals, so the smoke could be coming from any cylinder. It sounds like you've got excessively worn valve guides and oil is building up in the top of your heads and being pulled into the cylinders, causing the smoke after it's been running a while. The stock 305 in my '76 did the same thing. I fixed most of the problem by cleaning out all the crud in the top of the heads that prevented the oil from draining back. Of course, the ultimate fix is to have the heads rebuilt. Most of the advice you'll get here will require you to do basic mechanical checks (compression check, looking at the spark plugs, etc.). You've already said your not mechanically inclined, so your only real option is to find an honest, reasonable mechanic that will fix the probelm correctly the first time (as opposed to the last person that worked on your car). You might see if anybody on this site is from your area and see if you can get some help. Your other option is to do the troubleshooting yourself, but that takes time and patience, and that may not be an option for you at this time. Most of us have learned this stuff over plenty of years, mistakes and money.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

front of engine
1 - 2
3! !4
5! !6
7! !8
firewall
so that was ez
dual exhaust = 2 mufflers 2 tail pipes
what do you have a cloud or just a light trail of grey smoke? either way I would take out all the plugs (one by one so you remember where they go) and see how your engine is burning post picts of them we can help or just do a search and there are plenty of pictures on this website and others of what your plugs should look like

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 12:48 PM
Team Member
Christropher

The car is 31 years old, I think it's old enough to make it's own decision on if it wants to smoke or not.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
The car is 31 years old, I think it's old enough to make it's own decision on if it wants to smoke or not.
Haha....dude....
Anyway, Im a believer that head gaskets make smoke, ask me how I know. However a valve gasket? Uhh. I dont think theres such a thing called a valve gasket but a valve cover gasket and that wont cost u anywhere near 1200 bucks. Burn off should not take too long, I wasnt paying attention and there was a hole in my funnel, (mice) and it went all over my headers and the side of my block and it burned off in 10 minutes.
Dont they by law have to tell you what is really wrong lol? If its the valve guides why would they spend that much money and just change the oil rings then a new head gasket and slap it back on.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise. I had someone else look at it and they said the oil was leaking internally worn o-rings and years of wear and tear. The oil is leaking into the #8 cylinder causing the spark plug not to fire. The said that is why it is smoking. The put an adapter on the spark plug and a temp fix that way it not sitting in the oil and it can get a spark. After that the smoking stopped.

The $1200 was for a bunch of things that were wrong new radiator, replaced left freezer plug, valve cover/gaskets, distributor cap ect.

Hey if anyone in the Phoenix/Tempe area can recommend someone it would be nice probably need to replace the carb next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode