Head Gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Head Gasket?

I am changing the heads on my stock 327-210hp to a set of vortec's. Is there anything special I need to look for when picking a head gasket? Whose gasket and what part number should I use?

Murph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Head Gasket?

fpp-1003. I dont know how thick you want.Or if you block is bored over but this is the type I would look at. Summits got some.

68 camaro, 350 vortec heads, rpm air gap, lunati voodoo cam, coated headers, th350, 100 shot, 3.73, eaton posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Engine is all original and never been apart. Should be std bore. I know that thickness will effect compression ratio (along with the change in heads). I am putting on the vortec heads, performer EPS manifold, Thuder AVS 650 CFM. I am keeping the stock cam.

What head gasket thickness would be most normal? Sorry, don't know the right question to ask.

Murph

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

IMHO,
If the piston is 25 in the hole you need to get your quench around 35-40. That is when the motors is...more...consistent in volumetric efficiency. I like using 15 thousands gaskets on engines that are 25 in the hole. when you add 25 in the hole to 15 gasket, your quench is 40. pretty good quench numbers. make since? Pay attention to piston choice to keep your Static Compression Ratio in a usable pump gas friendly range. Really Smart engine gurus will chime in shortly and help you more with this engine stuff. Im just a rookie myself.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks. I don't think I'll be getting into the bottom end so whatever the factory piston sits in the hole is what I've got. I don't even think I know what I just said I know it all matters for compression ratio and I just don't want to pick a head gasket that will cause problems. Still learning.

Murph
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 01:25 AM
Banned

If you use a Felpro performance gasket this hole must be drilled in your block as most of the old 327 blocks do not have this required hole.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
If you use a Felpro performance gasket this hole must be drilled in your block as most of the old 327 blocks do not have this required hole.
Yes, this is true. The last set of Felpro 1010 gaskets I used , had a note about this. I drilled block using gasket as a template. The was a 1970 10/20 hi nickel content block.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

OK. This seems like more work than I was looking to do. I am not opposed to doing it. Are there any gaskets available for this application that do not require this?

If I was to drill the hole, what is the purpose of the hole?

Murph
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Purpose of hole , according to Felpro , is to aid cooling. There is a hole in most heads that does not match the early blocks. All I did was used the gasket as a template and drilled a 7/16's hole, in the block deck, then chamferred the hole, done deal, easy button. The hole is there, might as well take advantage of it. All you are doing is between two other holes, into the water jacket. If you look down there with a little flashlight, you can see where you are going.

Just start out with a small hole, say 1/4" and work up to 7/16". I used a 1/2" chuck hand drill. Just drill straight.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

OK. Did you have any issues with chips getting into the cylinders? How about the cooling jacket on the other side of the hole drilled. I am not taking the short block out and would not want the chips to cause bad things on start up.

Murph
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph's 68 View Post
OK. Did you have any issues with chips getting into the cylinders? How about the cooling jacket on the other side of the hole drilled. I am not taking the short block out and would not want the chips to cause bad things on start up.

Murph
Glad you asked,,,I didn't realize this hole needed to be drilled until after motor was together. So shortblock is on stand. No problem,, turn motor upside down, chips fall down , right? I then blew air into front of block freeze plug holes, and made sure I got all dust out. The rest probably came out after I initially ran motor with water only. I also pulled lower block petcocks and flushed but this was after I got motor running and in car. Sorry I did not mention that.

Don
TC # 349

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Ok. So if I understand this right, I want to use a 0.015" head gasket to keep my quench at 0.040". This of course assumes that the stock piston sits in the hole 0.025". It looks like the right fel-pro number is FPP-1094.

Does this look correct? What is the magic behind the 0.040" quench height?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode