Starter grinding, need advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Starter grinding, need advice

I'm looking for advice. I changed my oil today on my 68 Camaro. I'm getting it ready for spring time. I used 1 qaurt of the lucas oil stabilizer along with 4 qaurts of Castrol conventional oil. I went to start the engine to get the oil pressure up and the starter began to make an awful grinding sound as I tried to turn the engine over. I turned the key off waited a minute and attempted to start the engine again. The started made another grinding sound. I turned the key off off again, waited another minute and attempted to start the engine one more time. The engine fired right up and ran great. The oil pressure is good. I have never heard that grinding sound come from the starter. The engine is a 427 BB with 11:1 compression. The engine was rebuilt very recent before I got the car. I was told their are about 1500 to 2000 miles on the rebuilt engine. I have never used the Lucas oil stabilizer before. Is it possible that could be causing the problem? The lucas oil stabilizer is a very thick oil product. Could that cause the engine to turn over very hard along with the high compression, maybe to much for the starter? Or could it be that the starter is going bad. I have no idea if the starter was replaced when the engine was rebuilt. I think that the starter is an OEM style starter. I know that the starter is not a high performance starter. I'm not sure if I should drain the oil and change it again only using conventional oil and not use the Lucas oil stabilizer or try something to test the starter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 08, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Re: Starter grinding, need advice

I'm sure others will chime in but my first thought is stuck bendix or starter needs adjustment.

69' Camaro X44 Base Coupe - 1\4 - 12.79
383 Stroker\700R4\Vigilante\12 Bolt Eaton Posi 3:55
QA1; Hotchkis; Vintage Air; IROC Steering Box
Owned and operated for over 20 years....................

04' CTS-V - Daily Driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

LS6, Headers, Cam, Corsa exhaust, Electric cutouts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
John

Red face Re: Starter grinding, need advice

sounds like the starter may not be shimmed properly. check that out first, its easy enough to fix

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech

If it sat for the winter I would guess along with sixtynine that the drive stuck on the shaft.
Sounds like you cured the problem after a few trys.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 08:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If you are capable and you think its in the starter shimming, I would get under the car and take the cover off of the flywheel , disconnect batt power , take the starter off and clean it up or have it tested. You may be also able as someone suggested, try shimming the starter but if you have never done this and are not mechanically inclined to understand what is going on, best find someone that does. You can mess up a starter ring gear real quick.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks everyone. The car seems to be starting fine now. I will continue to monitor this. thanks for the help.Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode