Cam Degree - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trevor

Cam Degree

When I installed my cam I deg-reed it to get the 106 ICL I had to advance the cam gear 4 degree's to get 106 ICL. Now when I but the cam info into Desktop Dyno where do I but the cam advance at 0 or 4 degree's? The cam is Comp Cams XR292 It has 4 degree's ground into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 01:45 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Cam Degree

If you have installed the cam with the Intake Lobe Center Line at 106 degrees then that is the figure you use. In other words, the cam is not installed at 106 - 4 = 102 degrees because you have degreed the installation yourself at 106 degrees. That ground in 4 degree advance is basically a misleading crappy advertising gimmick.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

A crappy advertising gimmick? Do they really sell that feature? Maybe they do it because on average it runs best that way, or maybe guys tend to overcam their engines and the advance keeps it from being so doggy.

If you had to advance that cam 4° to get the intake lobe center at 106° I would do a little re-checking of the numbers. I don't think that there would be a 4° error in the grinding, maybe 1 or 2 but not 4.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
crappy advertising gimmick
That's basically the only way I can say it because it doesn't matter once you have established the position of the Intake Lobe Center line in relation to the crankshaft.

The only thing I can come up with is this "built in 104 degree advance expression" is for people that install the cam by lining up the marks of the sprockets without degreeing trusting the camshaft mfgr's claim that normally cams are ground to be installed at 110 degrees and hyp that their product has a built in 4 degree advance to improve performance. Why say this for no other reason because the Camshaft Spec Chart recommends that you check by degreeing the ILC position and clearly specifies the ILC is to installed at 106 degrees not 110 degrees - LOL

My expression for ILC terms is that 110 degrees is commonly referred to as straight up, 106 degrees is that built in 4 degree advance and 104 degrees is the racers edge and none of it matters because the camshaft can only be in the position were you installed it )

By the way that XR292 has lot of duration, hope you running a good 11:1 or better static compression.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 10th, 08 at 07:39 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Trevor:

One thing I forgot to add. It is imperative that you do a Piston to Valve measurement after you have installed or degreed any Hi-Perf Cam. To do this; mock up the RH cylinder head with the head gasket you have chosen, lightly torque and install the valve train components on #1 cylinder. Use light oil like WD40 to wet the Valve Heads and place Play Doe or Plumbers Putty in a "X" pattern 1/4" thick across each Valve Relief of the piston. Turn the engine through one complete cycle. Remove the Cylinder head and Di-Sect the putty with a Razor then measure the thinest sections with a Caliper. You should never have less then .080" on the intake or less then .100" on the exhaust.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode