Power Valve Size - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Power Valve Size

I bought a motor about a month ago and the guy suggested getting the carb rebuilt. So I got the carb back about a week ago and the shop rebuilt it back to stock specs. I was wondering if with my motor specs I could get an idea of the correct or close to correct power valve size? The motor is not in the car right now and on an engine stand, but I would like to get the carb close as close to ready as possible.

502 Gen VI 4 bolt main, 9:1 CR
Melling hv oil pump
Crane solid roller p/n 168601 cam .615 .636 246 254 dur @ .050,
crane solid roller lifters
GMPP 12363400 Aluminum Rectangle port heads
GMPP 12361323 1.7 alum Rockers
Edelbrock victor jr 454-R intake
Crank Ext. ballanced, nitriated, crossed drilled gm p/n 10198922
Rods Forged 4340 Steel
Pistons GM P/N 12533507 Forged Aluminum
MSD Pro-Billet Dist.

68 Camaro (In the works)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Power Valve Size

Looks like a HP 850 holley Vs would work well. Pv selection is usually determined by your engine vacumn, being not everyone uses the same cam.. Usually two numbers below your best idle vacumn. Ie, If you idle in gear (AT) is 10 hg then a 7 or 6.5 is your selection. 6.5 is usually a norm in most hp cars.

What carb do you have?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

HP 850 w/ MS, MS since I am running a TKO 600

68 Camaro (In the works)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01somta View Post
HP 850 w/ MS, MS since I am running a TKO 600
This will work, Pv front and rear , should be about the same.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

There is no formula to tell what you need for sure. Using an A/F gauge helps to see where the extra enrichment is needed.

You want to tune the carb on the jets at a series of speed up to about 60 mph. Jet down until there is a surge present, and then jet up 1 to 2 sizes from the surge. Then set your PV and PVCRs. There is a lot more to it than that, but these are the basics.

The powervalve is an extra fuel switch. It needs to turn on when engine load is high enough that the engine wants more enrichment. Finding the point this happens isn't easy as there are a lot of circuits working together around that point.

Most likely I think you will need a 6.5. But you didn't list much relevant info to make a choice. Idle vacuum in gear, park, and at cruise at various speeds would help get closer to what you need.

As far as running primary and secondary valves, you have to test and tune. On a hard launch a secondary PV will get uncovered and not have enough fuel. Most people with drag cars plug the sec. PV and jet up 6 to 8 sizes on the secondaries. If you are looking for economy too you can use a sec. PV. You can either run the smae inch value or stagger the PV settings. If you stagger, you can run say a 6.5 in the front and an 8.5 in the rear. Again, it is what the engine wants at various loads, speeds, and how you give the gas pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode