Larger Dia BBC Thin Shim Head Gaskets? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Larger Dia BBC Thin Shim Head Gaskets?

This is more or less a follow up from my previous thread re "Chip on Lip of Cylinder Bore" discussed here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131421

One viable solution was to install a larger Diameter Head Gasket; but this FIX was not feasible because there does not seem to be any .018" to .022" thick BBC head gaskets that are bigger the 4.370".

So, I'm wondering if anybody knows if Larger Dia BBC Thin Shim Head Gaskets exist or where they might be purchased?

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Larger Dia BBC Thin Shim Head Gaskets?

This is getting tough, I found a GM gasket # 88961561 for the 572 motor, .030 thick. Still .008 away huh? This is a preflattened wire gasket for cast or alloy heads.
I know this is the extream, but I have heard of guys using a thicker babbit rod bearing on lower end of the rod cap and thinner on the other, thus moving piston up cly , few thousands resulting in More compression?
Other than the gasket company Tim recommend, thats all I know. Over and out.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

CHUCKLE ))

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 10:50 PM

I have stacked two .020" thick steel shim 11.5 to 1 CR., 409 "W" engine headgaskets fine as well as hand fit Mr. Gasket's 4.00" bore, .020" thick steel shims for my 406 SB USING good old fashioned Permatex "Indianhead Shelllac Gasket Cement" both time's.

So therefore head gasket fitment issues don't bother me ALL that much!

But I am almost anal about this b/c I retorque them at least three time's over as many days driving back and forth to work and all has worked fine for me!!

pdq67

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

EH-HUMM! - A "W" 409 - You're giving your age away - LOL

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 11:13 PM

Ron,

My hopped up 409 "W" engine fit down in there like it came from GM on my SB stuff!

Stick and all.

pdq67

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Them "W" Engines sure had a sweet looking cylinder head - too bad they never had a combustion chamber - LOL

A buddy, a concision over, and I managed to installed a 430cu w/auto out of his sisters wrecked Monarch convertible into his 57 Ford. Believe me it just did not
Quote:
fit down in there like it came from
Ford on his SB Stuff ))

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 11th, 08 at 11:58 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Them "W" Engines sure had a sweet looking cylinder head - too bad they never had a combustion chamber - LOL

A buddy, a concision over, and I managed to installed a 430cu w/auto out of his sisters wrecked Monarch convertible into his 57 Ford. Believe me it just did not Ford on his SB Stuff ))
430 was a Lincoln motor, , it was big for its day. Did not share anything with a 429.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Don:

I don't think this thread is going to get much of a response because I don't believe the item exists; however, I must say - I do enjoy our chats ))

I guess Mfgr's of Head Gasket products assume that you will ZERO deck by milling off .025" then use their .039" composite gaskets as quench in which case Chipping the Lip of a Cylinder Bore would even be more precarious.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 12th, 08 at 07:00 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
I have stacked two .020" thick steel shim 11.5 to 1 CR., 409 "W" engine headgaskets fine as well as hand fit Mr. Gasket's 4.00" bore, .020" thick steel shims for my 406 SB USING good old fashioned Permatex "Indianhead Shelllac Gasket Cement" both time's.

But I am almost anal about this b/c I retorque them at least three time's over as many days driving back and forth to work and all has worked fine for me!!

pdq67
pdq67 you ought to know better than that. I am surprised to see engineering like that from you.

Anyway, You can use a thicker gasket arrangement to fix the chip problem, maybe. But, it will screw up your quench area, lower compression, and not be as strong. I would have the deck milled to make up for the chip. Check the clearances, but the closer you can get on the quench area the better.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post

pdq67
pdq67 you ought to know better than that. I am surprised to see engineering like that from you.

Anyway, You can use a thicker gasket arrangement to fix the chip problem, maybe. But, it will screw up your quench area, lower compression, and not be as strong. I would have the deck milled to make up for the chip. Check the clearances, but the closer you can get on the quench area the better.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:37 AM

Smile Re: Larger Dia BBC Thin Shim Head Gaskets?

lluciano77,I think GM did it stock back then is why I did it and it worked fine at 11.5 to 1 CR.As for Ford's 383/410/430/462 MEL engines, they were Ford's version of our 348/409/427 “W” engines!And notice the 462 Lincoln here!! BIG SUCKER ta say the least!GM's “W” had a 16 degree head to block/piston top slant and the Ford MEL's a 10 degree slant and both heads had almost NO recesses in them for chambers. Both engines chambers were formed by the wedge that is formed when the piston is slanted.Now, bttt, imho, a chip at the top of a bore is fine as long as it doesn't go down far enough to hit the top ring travel. I'd use a daub of good old Permatex, “Indianhead Shellac Gasket Cement” right there on both sides of the gasket and go IF you don't want to use the darn messy stuff on them everywhere.I say this b/c BB's have deck valve scallops ground in them to help breathing. And they only go down like an 1/8" to maybe 3/16” stock. And I know our BB headgaskets are contoured to miss the scallops.pdq67

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:43 AM

Sorry about that, my 'puter's not working right???

pdq67

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

It's all in the stew now - lol

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode