Valvetrain adjustments - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Valvetrain adjustments

I thought I understood this, but I guess I don't. Do you have to adjust your valvetrain if you are running solid roller lifters and a solid roller cam? I know that you do with solid, but I didn't know about the solid ROLLER?

68 Camaro (In the works)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Valvetrain adjustments

Yes you have to adjust the valves with a solid roller cam. You do not have to adjust valves with a hydrolic roller cam. I hope this helps.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Yes you have to adjust the valves with a solid roller cam. You do not have to adjust valves with a hydrolic roller cam. I hope this helps.

So is there a difference between solid and solid roller or they the same?

68 Camaro (In the works)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Yes, you need to adjust with solid lifters, wether flat tappet (or non-roller), or roller lifters.

The difference between roller and non-roller solid lifters is the,......roller. With a flat lifter you have a flat surface rubbing on a spinning flat surface creating a lot of friction, wear, and heat. A solid roller litfer has a wheel at the base of the lifter which rolls on the cam to greatly reduce the friction, heat, and wear. I would guess you'd adjust a solid roller cam/lifters much less than you would a non-roller do to these issues, but I don't have any solid roller expierence.

The same would be true for hydraulic cams/lifters, there are flat tappet and roller, but they self adjust.

The reference to solid roller, or solid cam is refering to the lifter type, but typicialy all 'solids' need to be adjusted.

holy crap,...I think that that more than you aked for, but I was on a roll....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

All solid cams (roller or not) must be adjusted to the correct lash. This must be done with feeler gauges with the motr not running.

All hydraulic lifters (rollers or not) must be adjusted to zero lash plus a bit. This is done by "feel" rather than with feeler gauges, and can be done running or not running.

The difference between a roller (hydraulic or solid) and a flat tappet is of course the roller itself.
The roller lifter reduces friction dramatically, but the biggest feature is it allows a MUCH higher lift rate on the lobe. The lift rate on a flat tappet cam is limited by the diameter of the lifter, to high a lift rate, the lobe will run off the edge of the lifter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Dustin:

If you have never adjusted the Valve Lash on Solid Tappets, I would highly suggest you have someone who really know what they are doing to teach you because just one mistake with a Solid Tappet adjustment whether it is a Flat Tappet or Mechanical Roller cam can cause you a lot of expense and grief. Always use the lash adjustments on the Mfgr's Cam Spec Sheet.

I don't know if this will help but this is the correct procedure on when to adjust Tappets or Valve Lash whether they are Solid or Hydraulic prior to starting an engine.

Intake Valve: When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake valve.

Exhaust Valve: After the intake valve has been adjusted, continue to rotate the engine, watching that same intake valve. The intake valve will go to full lift and then begin to close. When the intake is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder.

You will more then likely rotate the engine by hand using a socket on the Damper Nut (spark plugs removed) several times before you are satisfied with the adjustments.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

Hydraulic lifters must be adjusted too. They are a little less picky though. Some like 1/4 to 1/2 turn preload from zero. Some are designed for lash or zero. If you add too much preload the valve will hang open.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

So, after reading all this it sounds like I am going to do cam/lifter swap and go to a hydraulic setup. So what determines if you need to adjust the valvetrain continously is it based on if the cam or lifter type or both? If I go hydraulic I would only have to adjust once and that is at install correct?

68 Camaro (In the works)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

A well-adjusted solid lifter set-up needs only adjusting once a year maybe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01somta View Post
So, after reading all this it sounds like I am going to do cam/lifter swap and go to a hydraulic setup. So what determines if you need to adjust the valvetrain continously is it based on if the cam or lifter type or both? If I go hydraulic I would only have to adjust once and that is at install correct?
On a solid cam you need to check the clearances every so often. I think people exaggerate how often you need to adjust solid cams. If you use good poly locks or stud girdles it will extend the time inbetween checks.

A hydraulic cam should only need adjustment once. You may want to double check after break in, but after that they are good. The only thing that would take them out after that would be lobe wear.

Spend a little more time researching cams and what the duration @.050" numbers, lobe sep. and lift mean before buying. What do your head flow? That is equally important. I try to run as much lift within a given duration. Advertised duration figures are all over the place. Learn to read in @.050".
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

A Mechanical Roller SetUp is very expensive and delivers the most performance. What are your engine specs, make and specs of cam, lifters, tranny and gears? What do you intend to use the car for and how many miles do you expect to drive per year?

Providing you are not drag racing every weekend, once setup a good component Mechanical Roller system should not require valve lash adjustment but once a year or every 5000 miles and may not even require adjusting upon inspection.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech

Mechanicla rollers are the best for top end performance. A hydraulic roller is heavy and will float at around 6,500 RPM. The solid roller is harder on valvetrain parts and require heavier springs that wear out faster. You also need a good oiling solid lifter that is designed for low RPM street use or you will end up with roller needles all over the place.

I run a hyd roller. I have an SBC 400 that I don't really need to spin past 6,500 to make the power. A high rev 302 or 327 will be more in the solid roller realm. What are you willing to sacrifice, maintain, check occasionally, etc? What will your real life power band be. All this must be taken into account before selecting the cam. Of course, gears, stall, intake, carburetion, exhaust, and intake versus exhaust flow of the heads become important factors.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Here is my setup, this will be a show/cruise car. I will maybe see the track 1-2 times a yr. I would put maybe 2k miles a yr on it.

TKO 600 with a 9" and 3.73s
502 Gen VI 4 bolt main, 9:1 CR
Melling hv oil pump
Crane solid roller p/n 168601 cam .615 .636 246 254 dur @ .050,
crane solid roller lifters
GMPP 12363400 Aluminum Rectangle port heads
GMPP 12361323 1.7 alum Rockers
Edelbrock victor jr 454-R intake
Crank Ext. ballanced, nitriated, crossed drilled gm p/n 10198922
Rods Forged 4340 Steel
Pistons GM P/N 12533507 Forged Aluminum
MSD Pro-Billet Dist.

68 Camaro (In the works)

Last edited by 01somta; Apr 13th, 08 at 09:41 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

So if I do stick with the setup that I have, will I have a noticable valvetrain noise? Also, will the "adjustment" just be using a feeler guage and tightening the rockers, I guess what I am asking is what does the "adjustment" involve?

68 Camaro (In the works)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes, adjusting the rockers using a feeler gauge.

Also with that cam in a 502, I think some valvetrain racket is the last thing you'll "hear".
If I were you, I'd be more worried about contributing to global warming by affecting the rotation of the earth!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode