Engine Vibration - 3K RPM - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
VB

Engine Vibration - 3K RPM

I'm having a engine vibration at 3000 RPM and haven't been able to diagnose the problem. After about 300 miles of use, the vibration started and seems to be engine related.

Drivetrain Details:
- ZZ502, Fluidamper, Holley 850, MSD Digital6, March serpentine with AC
- T-56, Centerforce DF, Scattershield (indexed)
- Hydroboost brakes

Items looked at so far:
- Vibration occurs when:
- Moving and sitting still
- Clutch engaged or disengaged
- Trans in gear and out of gear

- Plugs and wires checked - plugs clean, gap correct
- Replaced waterpump

Any ideas on what to look at next?

Thanks,
Steve

'68 Camaro RS - 502ci, Viper T56, Ford 9", Z06 brakes<br />'67 Camaro - 327ci, TH350, Ford 9", Baer<br />'97 Viper GTS - 488ci, Borla, K&N, shifter, Hoosier slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Engine Vibration - 3K RPM

This is an external balanced motor, did it orginally come with the factory balancer? if so , can you install it and see what happens? How about flywheel?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I personally do not like Fluid Dampers - seems to me I'm always replacing them with good old Chevy ones on my friends cars. Could be related to clutch pressure plate balancing.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Ok I just remedied my motor vibration problem on my 406
its the balancer!
reinstall the OEM balancer before something breaks.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
Ok I just remedied my motor vibration problem on my 406
its the balancer!
reinstall the OEM balancer before something breaks.

Dawg, you're saying the "Fluidamper" is the likely cause of the vibration? I thought those were pretty good pieces. I have one on my engine. The damper is easy enough to swap out though, so this could be a fairly easy test.

----------------------

VB, on the Centerforce DF clutch, I seemed to run smoother after I removed the weights. So that's something else you might try.

----------------------

Cylinder misfire is another distinct possibility. Compression check might be in order. An easy test is - engine at fast idle, disconnect one plug wire at a time. You should notice audible rpm drop (use a tach if it helps). If you remove a wire and no change, well............... Of course, use an insulated wire removal tool to avoid a mini-Tase incident, lol. Don't Tase me bro!

Good luck, I've had plenty of vibration issues and they can drive you crazy.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 05:02 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB View Post
After about 300 miles of use, the vibration started
Steve,
If the vibration was not there initially, then I seriously doubt that it is the damper or anything internal to the engine. If those parts are going to cause a vibration, they will do it from the start.

Are you sure it is a "vibration" and not a missfire or other rough running situation ? Does the vibration go away above 3000 rpm ? A mechanical out of balance condition usually gets worse as the rpms are increased.

Try taking the serpentine belt off and see what happens. It wont hurt the engine to run it for a couple of minutes without it. That might help isolate it some.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
VB

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Bill, the vibration wasn't there from the beginning and just started recently. The problem goes away at higher RPM and is only present from about 2800-3200 RPM. Your suggestion about taking off the belts is a good one to try.

Has anyone had a vibration problem with their PS pump or alternator? I'm wondering if the PS pump might be fried due to the extra heat and load put on it from the Hyrdaboost.

'68 Camaro RS - 502ci, Viper T56, Ford 9", Z06 brakes<br />'67 Camaro - 327ci, TH350, Ford 9", Baer<br />'97 Viper GTS - 488ci, Borla, K&N, shifter, Hoosier slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode