Can't get Z-Bar (cross shaft) back in - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Can't get Z-Bar (cross shaft) back in

I'm installing Doug Thorley headers on my 69 Camaro with a stock small block 350. In the process I loosened the bolt out of the block for the Z-bar, cross shaft, and lifted the engine some to gain some room to install the header on the driver side. Well, I've got that in, and dropped the engine back down in place. I can not get the bolt that goes to the block off of the cross shaft to thread in. It just won't get started. Any tips?
I can get my fingers on it to turn to try and get started, and I have used a screwdriver against the shaft itself to pry the bolt further toward the block...

Is there something I'm missing... Anything I can try. This seems simple, but is frustrating the crap outta me.

69 Camaro X55 4speed
9.08 @78 in 1/8th...stock with headers and exhaust
Don't wait for conditions to be perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Re: Can't get Z-Bar (cross shaft) back in

LOL. That's funny.

As soon as I go backto work on it after asking for advice...I get it to go in. I loosened the nut on the frame side more that I had already...and pulled on the shaft away from the frame a the same time as turning the bolt...it went in. I have had this Camaro off the ground over month now putting these headers on a little at the time as time permitted. Been messing with this z-bar for a while. Just took some luck from Team Camaro.

Thanks

69 Camaro X55 4speed
9.08 @78 in 1/8th...stock with headers and exhaust
Don't wait for conditions to be perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

I've been there, even loosened the Z bar frame bracket, and after an hour crawling in and out from under the car I realized I was trying to screw the Pivot Ball bolt into the oil gallery access just next to it.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Box Monkey View Post
LOL. That's funny.

As soon as I go backto work on it after asking for advice...I get it to go in. I loosened the nut on the frame side more that I had already...and pulled on the shaft away from the frame a the same time as turning the bolt...it went in. I have had this Camaro off the ground over month now putting these headers on a little at the time as time permitted. Been messing with this z-bar for a while. Just took some luck from Team Camaro.

Thanks
Loosening the frame side bolts (3) or totally removing them, is the only way that I have done and gives you less fits, less tools being thrown across the room. Didn't matter Hooker or Thorley's , the Z bar gets in the way. . Next time you know you dont have to lift motor.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 03:21 PM

My 1st Gen. Camaro car has a slotted frame bracket so it slip's right down on it!

Problem is, is that it's a real b.. to tighten the nut from the top on the Z-bar to make sure it's done!

Talk about CUSS!!

pdq67

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

We all have Z bar stories. None of them good. Wanna hear mine? Been a TH400 man since '69 because of those things,,,, and 4 speeds behind BBC's.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode