Motor is stuck. Any hope? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Motor is stuck. Any hope?

I have located a 409 locally and am thinking about putting it in my camaro. Just think it would be cool to do something outside the norm. Anyways, he's only wanting 300$ for it and I know that I could get that much out of it by parting it out(It's complete and completely stock). The hick-up is that it is stuck. Don't know what has happened to it other than it just won't turn. Is there any hope for this motor to be running again? What can be done to "free" it up again(soak the cylinder in something like Marvels Mystery Oil, PB Blaster, etc.)? Would like your opinion. Thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Motor is stuck. Any hope?

Do ya got any more info, Jason?

If it's been sitting "opened up" out in the weather, the odds are slim you can get it going without at least a complete teardown.

If all the plugs were in, valve covers and air cleaner on and she's been stored indoors, yea, odd are pretty good that soaking the cylinders dowm with MMO and prelubing the oil system, ya just might be able to bust er loose and git er fired up.

OBTW.... different yes, but ole pdq67 did claims more than once to have run a 409 in his 67, so not unheard of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I would spray a can a RED Rust Check through the Spark plug Holes and let is sit for a week before I attempted to turn it over. If it didn't turn you might get it for $100. Tare it down record all the numbers and rebuild it original - If you think more then $300 was worth it try making a bundle to put into your own engine or run the "W" 409 and play the Beach Boys - while you cruise - lol

Yep; pdq67 said that 409 just fell in, transmission and all including the stick.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech

Spray a bunch of WD-40 or something equivalent into all 8 spark plug holes. Then, take a breaker bar and slowly work the crank back and forth. If you are lucky it will free up. I have done this a few times with success. It may not work, but it is probalby your last shot before teardown.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Thanks so far guys. I don't think there is any chance of just firing it up. I haven't seen the motor yet(hopefully this week). If I buy it, it will be with full intentions of a complete rebuild. So with that said. It's not a huge problem for an engine to be stuck if you plan on taking it apart? I had always assumed the worst if "they" say the engine is stuck.
I had actually planned on contacting PDQ67 when it came closer to buying it. I wasn't sure if they would mount up easily or not. Figured he would know. Oh, by the way. Would a Lenco bolt up to one of these or know of an adopter setup that would help? Lenco is still in the works, but is likely. Thanks, Jason
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 08, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Careful pdq67 is liable to snafu that 409 and drop it - into his Rambler - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

A 409 backed by a Lenco in a Camaro.......I LOVE IT!!!

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

You have to be able to roll it to take out pistons.

So on overhaul with a siezed one you spend a good bit of time freeing it up or taking it apart goofy until it frees.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

If you're planning to take it apart anyway, it's no big deal. A piece of 2x4 and a BFH will free up stubborn pistons that you don't plan to reuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode