SBC stupid question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

SBC stupid question

I know this is probably a stupid question but why does some SBC's have an oil filler tube in the front of the motor and some dont??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Re: SBC stupid question

Way they were designed. 67 and 68 Camaro had oil fill tubes up front. 69's had them in the valve cover.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

But some of the intakes i see have the oil filler tube in the front. Does it matter? I suppose they are interchangable??

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Prior to the PCV system SBC motors vented the crankcase threw an Outlet tube usually found on the back of the intake manifold next to the distributer so it was practice to put an Oil Filler tube on the Front of the intake as there was room for it at this location. Newer engines got a PCV system to vent the crankcase and as more accessories were bolted onto the front of the engine they took up space were the filler tube was - so the Oil Filler Tube on the front of the intake had to go and is now usually found on a valve cover.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Depends on what you're trying to use the intake for. Are you restoring a car to originality? Each manifold is specific to an application. The 67 and 68 Z28's have the thermostat housing in the middle and the 69 has it off center. They also have different casting #'s. I can't speak to every model, but most have certain casting numbers for each engine combo.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68zproject View Post
Depends on what you're trying to use the intake for. Are you restoring a car to originality? Each manifold is specific to an application. The 67 and 68 Z28's have the thermostat housing in the middle and the 69 has it off center. They also have different casting #'s. I can't speak to every model, but most have certain casting numbers for each engine combo.

Ditto on the above Tom and never a stupid question thats how we learn ...Hi Harvard: hope the new year been good to you ,very good here lots of new parts going together to make a good setup I hope,see ordered wednsday in the performance forum if interested ,hope we can all get together this summer,sorry Tom didn't mean to hijack.... Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

Last edited by 68Lemans blue; Apr 15th, 08 at 06:23 AM. Reason: oops
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 01:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old baldguy View Post
Ditto on the above Tom and never a stupid question thats how we learn ... Happy Motoring

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 02:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post

Hope to see you too this summer Fred ,I am not good at planning ,but maybe a collective effort ,for the Puget Sound area T/C gang...Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: SBC stupid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Prior to the PCV system SBC motors vented the crankcase threw an Outlet tube usually found on the back of the intake manifold next to the distributer ...
Just to clarify;

Prior to the PCV systems - there was a "Draft-tube" system that allowed vapors to flow from the fill tube vented cap inlet, through the block and be drawn out of the draft-tube by the negative pressure differencial at the tube outlet. The vapors and crankcase bi-products were dumped into the air flow under the vehicle.
These draft-tube systems were never installed on Camaro engines from the factory.

The 'outlet' for the crankcase vent was cast into the rear of Pre-1968 blocks (for automotive use - marine, industrial and truck continued for several more years) - not the intake manifold.
Inlet vent air to the crankcase entered via the cap on the oil fill tube on "Open" PCV systems and through the rear vent on "Closed" PCV systems (a reversed flow to the 'open' venting design).
The PCV valve was mounted in the rubber tubing leading from this rear vent hole to the intake on 1967 "Open" systems.
The PCV valve is screwed into the fill tube and routed to the intake via rubber hose on the 1967 "Closed" systems.

There was also an oil-seperator installed internally in the block lifter galley (below the manifold) that caught most of the oil out of the vapors exiting the vent hole.

1968, and later, automotive blocks do not have the rear venting provision hole and used the valve cover holes to allow crankcase vapors to be vented to the intake to be burned off during operation.
The passenger (right) side is the inlet side to the crankcase vent air flow of the post-68 PCV systems and the PCV valve is mounted in the Drivers (left) side valve cover (or in the tubing run of a few set-ups) as the vapor outlet to the intake system for the vapors to be burned.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

John:

Great info re PCV history. Come to think of it I do recall seeing that Oil Baffle Canister in the lifter gallery on older blocks but man - that was some time ago - LOL

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 04:44 PM

You ever get behind an old car in traffic and see steam coming out from under it?? And it stunk of unburned crap!!

That's the engine ring blow-by that is expelled out the road draft tube!! EPA said it caused right a 35 percent or so of ALL vehicle smog forming air pollution emissions so it was done away first out in Cali like about '63/'64!

pdq67

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

I've got a 50 Buick with the tube out the back of the block. Smells like nostalgia.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I guess they didn't attempt to dump the draft tube into the OIL Bath Breather for fear of flooding it with oil or causing a Crank Case explosion.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: SBC stupid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
... but man - that was some time ago - LOL
Yeah, I'm old - go ahead and rub it in
ps: tomorrows lesson will be the art of 'scraping babbit' - be sure to tune in

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

John: I learned to drive in a 55 Ford in 66 - so take it from there. Don't tell anyone but it was faster the a 56 Pontiac and left a 56 Olds 98 behind - LOL

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode