What limits your RPM? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

What limits your RPM?

Is it the heads? Cam? Block? How do i know what RPM i can safely go up to? I waas thinking 7000 but i noticed a crate motor that said 5500 rpm max?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 10:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: What limits your RPM?

thats relative to the air flow of the heads, yet limited by valvetrain. a.k.a. valve float start at about 55-5800 with stock hyd flat tappet lifters and a full rooler setup with girdles will go all the way up like NASCAR engines.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Like Harley said. Cam, intake, heads, exhaust will all limit HP, but ultimately it's the valve train that limits rpm.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

So what do you think is a good max RPM for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 08, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech

we need to know your specs... rpm limit can be a non-issue depending if your motor can make more power or not. for example, my motor has a roller cam and can spin to 6200, but it only makes power to 5500, so why would i ever spin it that fast?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 05:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

My wallet has a direct effect on the RPM limit of my motor -- or put another way, if you spin 'er too fast, its gonna cost ya!

==Doug
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

I opted to add the AFR rev kit with my new AFR heads which limit's V float and added 700 rpm from 5800 to 6500 and my motor hp raised from 5800 rpm 494 hp to 6300 512hp so that was a gain 18 hp and the kit was 245$ so was it worth it I think so cheep insurance and I am going to run a 6000 or 6100 chip in my rev limiter,Happy Motoring P.S. TT is this going to be a Street or Drag motor ,I have been following along in your post's and I don't think you have ever said what applacation your motor is for ??? maybe clarify,street?, Drag??, combo of both ??I can help If you want I have offered before but NA and am close...PM me...you me and some other Puget sound guys can get together at the track...The weather is going to change soon I hope

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I will drive it on the street, but want it built for the drag strip for the most part. I do want to go to the track but am still working out some issues before. After that i will hopefully be going all the time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

The valve spring itself will also limit HP. Some springs can't keep up.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 09:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Tom View Post
I will drive it on the street, but want it built for the drag strip for the most part. I do want to go to the track but am still working out some issues before. After that i will hopefully be going all the time.

Cool Tom: sounds like your on the right track Happy Motoring..As stated above intrested in 17 yrs. of experance at the track let me know ..

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, the ability of the engine to flow air, in & out, for making power.

Any engine will rpm into ozone regardless of the equipment attached to it.
It depends on how long it will stay together and how strong the valve springs are.

Frictional horsepower - as rpm's goes higher, friction gains.
Heat - all this friction generates heat, oil burns away, then hot mating surfaces become one.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech

There was acutally a guy on here a short while back that rev'd his motor up in neutral until it blew. I would contact him, find out what rpm it blew at, and subtract 50-100 !!!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Also keep in mind that the higher RPM you go the less miles you will get out a motor before it needs to be refreshed. The higher RPM puts a lot of strain on the bearings and rings forcing engine rebuilds more often. Keep it below 6k-6500 and you should be able to get 100k+ miles out of a good motor.

Ed

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 12:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

your cojones

Don't stop now!!!

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old baldguy View Post
Cool Tom: sounds like your on the right track Happy Motoring..As stated above intrested in 17 yrs. of experance at the track let me know ..
I would definitly like to go to the track with someone who knows what there doing. The engine is almost ready, i do need to take care of some of the rules though. I dont have a nuetral safety switch, but i do have a toggle on the ignition does that count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode