bent guide rods - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

bent guide rods

What will make tow rods bend? I took the 406 back to the engine builder and have it tear it down. The number 5 and 7 guide rods are bent. The pistons are fine and he is taking it down further to check the crank and bearings. So far it looks like its just the two rods. Said that there was odor of like old gas and the rods had a sludge like material on them. Asked how long after it was broken in it sat. It sat little over 2 weeks until I had the days off to install. Put it in, ran like a champ. Its when the distributor got loose and messed up the timing that it went down hill. Question still is- what contributed to the bent rods. Looks like its going to be 300 bills out of pocket. Thats okay because I bought the engine in 06 and there is only a year warranty. This just recently happened about a month ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

Re: bent guide rods

Guide rods? Tow rods?

Are you talking about connecting rods? Pushrods?

Old gas smell doesn't mean anything. Neither does sitting in a garage longer unless there is moisture, corrosion, and rust.

Sludge on the rods? What color? If it's chalky yellowish/white that would be coolant or moisture. Greyish/black could be assembly lube???
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Pushrods. Number 5 and 7 had no compression. Took the heads off and the rods were bent. I should know more friday. The rods were gunked up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DMZ View Post
Pushrods. Number 5 and 7 had no compression. Took the heads off and the rods were bent. I should know more friday. The rods were gunked up.
If you have no compression I would check that your valves aren't bent also. Get some new rods and check the compression again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Both the valves and rods were bent. Picking up the motor on Monday.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

So somehow the valves hit the pistons.

What RPM did you spin it to?
Most likely you floated the valves.

What cam, springs, size valves, and type of piston?
I would imagine a flat top piston right? Tell me what your cam specs are @.050" also. Speaking of the cam, did you check your cam to rod bolt clearance? Once I hear the cam specs I'll know if this may be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode