Plug wire help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Plug wire help

I have a 1987 boat with a SB Chevy motor with the old style points. It was changed to electronic type system by putting in an ignitor system. It removed the points and condenser but leaves the old style cap.

The cap looks like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't want to use the wires from the marine store, one they are 7 mm, 2 they are costly just because they are a marine store. I would like to order a set from summit but not sure which set to order due to the end of the wire that plugs into the cap.

They cap says itís a female/socket. Do I need the plug wire ends to be male or female?

The old set of wires look like the end on the coil wire in this set, were the brass is sticking out.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

THANKS

1969 SS/RS 350 Hugger Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Plug wire help

If you use the cap pictured, you would need wires with a male distributor end, for female socket.

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"

Last edited by 67 Convertible; Apr 15th, 08 at 09:33 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Ok, THANKS!

I will look into it again, but the only ones I see set up with male ends are also HEI, which I know will not work.

I need a set for a SBC with 90 degree ends on both sides with male connectors on the distributor side.

Any suggestions on a part number would be great, does not matter so much which brand.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Just search Summit, there are hundreds of wire sets there, I'm sure they have what you need, or you can call them (800 #) to explain exactly what you need. You probably could buy the wire set locally at Napa or Autozone.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Locally is my last resort. You know those guys can't find the right part unless they have the year, make, model of your car.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 02:01 PM
Team Member
John

How are your wires routed to the plugs? What kind of exhaust manifolds do you have? Wire sets are different depending on whether they're "short" for use with log-style manifolds (like Camaro, Nova, Chevelle) or "long" (like passenger car and Corvette) with "ram's horn" manifolds.

JohnZ
CRG
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would imagine being a marine engine, the water manifolds are on top, or surround the manifold., he would need plug wires going behind the head and coming up from the bottom to the plugs.

You might end up getting an universal set and make your own length via the path taken.
But there is a reason why marine wires should be used as to prevent spark jumping and causing a fire in the engine compartment.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Everett is correct in the description of the motor and the routing of the wires.

The wire set on the motor now are the originals and there doesn't seem to be anything special about them. In fact the cheap set I saw at Autozone appear to be a better quality. I also wanted to get a better set, (8 or 8.5 mm vs the 7 mm on there now), which I would think would reduce spark jumping even better. Most of the components on the motor that have Volvo Penta numbers are just regular GM parts. Oil filter, plugs, caps, rotors, condensers, points, etc..... Just cost more with Volvo Penta attached. Wire set from the marine store $51.00 vs the Autozone set $27.00.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

$51 is not unreasonable for a set of wires

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

No its not bad, but when there 1/2 the price at the auto store than they kind of are. I picked up items at the auto store versus the marine store, like spark plugs, for $2.00 less each, Cap $12 versus $26; rotor, $7 versus $11, etc..... It all adds up after a while.

There are some items you have no choice like impellers, fuel filter, since they are specific to the marine application.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode