Accelerator Pump?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Accelerator Pump??

Do u guys know where i can buy a larger Accelerator pump for my edlebrock 1407 carb? Also need a gasket for the top of the carb...

thanks
paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Hesitation @ WOT?

Hey guys, i'm still battling my hestation (BOG) at WOT....
Id idles fine, and drives fine.... But as soon as u floor it at any speed or
any gear ir bogs down, but then clears out and takes off
It seems its only when u put the gas to the floor.
I've taken the carb apart checked the floats, accelerator pump appears
to be working fine.... does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have a 396Big Block/ edlebrock torker Intake/ edlebrock 750 carb .
MSD IGN. MSD distrbutor / mild cam /....

thanks
paul
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Accelerator Pump??

I bet the secondary air valve is opening up too quickly. On Carter AFB's, we added weight to the weight to slow down the action.

Look at the weight in its at rest position, add the weight straight down from the shaft.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I bet the secondary air valve is opening up too quickly. On Carter AFB's, we added weight to the weight to slow down the action.

Look at the weight in its at rest position, add the weight straight down from the shaft.
How do you go about adding weight? I was thinking of this same thing today, pretty sure my car has the same prob...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 08, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
How do you go about adding weight? I was thinking of this same thing today, pretty sure my car has the same prob...
Grind off some of the zinc plating and TIG or MIG some material on.....if you get too much, grind it back off.

There may be other ways, but thats pretty easy and is real generic in my book, but it works and it's cheap.

Also, I agree with Everett, had the same problem with an old Carter on a 454 a few years back.

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Do u have a picture u can post to show exactly what ur describing...
I'm a little confused....

thanks
paul
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

No I don't. Have you taken the carb apart yet? If you have, you will know what we are talking about.

If not, there is a valve over the top of the secondary venturies......it looks similar to a pair of throttle blades and it has weights that are connected to a shaft. It is located right on top of the secondary venturies. It works off of air demand and is not controlled by throttle position. In your case, when you stomp on the throttle, the air demand is so great, the valve opens up so quickly that it gives a lean condition and causes it to bog.....just because the weights aren't heavy enough. Check out THIS picture.....item #43

Before you start, there is some adjustment on the accelerator pump that you can play with. There are three holes in the acc pump arm. The closer you are in on the holes, the more fuel it pumps when you give the gas. This might be helpfull in your situation. But the farther you go out, the less fuel it gets when you hit the throttle.

Just check the pump before you start ordering things. Take the air cleaner off and operate the throttle by hand. If you don't see any fuel coming out of the two nozzles (see item #36 in the above pic), then you have a pump problem. I have personally run a pump for at least 10 years without replacement. But that was with regular usage, so I don't know about one that has set up for long periods.

One other thing. Get someone to follow you and watch what the exhaust looks like when you stomp the gas. If your watcher dosent see any black smoke, it's a lean condition, if they see black smoke, it's rich condition. The reason you need some help with this is because it's kinda hard to see black smoke from inside the car......especially if it's just a little bit.

Hope this helps you out man,

Joe

BTW, you can re-use your old gasket if it hasent ripped. Otherwise, you can only get a gasket with a carb kit. You should be able to get that kit at Summit.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the Info.....

I know its running rich at idle, I cant seem to lean it out.... I checked my plugs,
they appear to be ok, like a creamy color....

If the bog was happining under a rich condition, what could it be then?

thanks for he help

paul
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

The jets would be the next thing to look at. I remember all of the Carter carbs I have ever used always seem to have a rich idle up to around 2000 rpm. You can fix that either one of two ways. Change the metering rods or simply change the jetting in the front. It would be a better fix by changing the metering rods tho, but thats more complicated......and I won't get into the technical aspect of tuning as I don't have the time at the moment. Do a google search on AFB tuning and I bet you will find somthing.

Good luck man, you will get it going.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode