HEI problem - pickup coil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

Question HEI problem - pickup coil

Ok, here's one I've been battling for about a week now..

Recently my 69 started running terrible, smoking and fouling plugs. Put in new plugs went through the carb, adjusted floats, idle ect.. all the normal stuff. Checked the lifter preload, timing.. you name it. Plugs went black right away and car still ran like crap.

Finally I decide to swap out the HEI with one from another car and throw in another set of plugs as well as rebuild the carb. Bingo, runs like it should. So I go sherlock holmes on the original distributor and find a few things..
1. The major one is that the two reluctor rings (is that what they are called?) actually contact each other at two points. I'm not sure why I didn't hear this under the hood, but I'm guessing it moves fast enough and my exhaust is so loud that it wasn't audible.
2. Then either I cracked the pickup coil magnet during disassembly or it was cracked already.
3. found a slight bit of rust under neath the coil where it contacts the spring in the cap.

SO.. I'm curious. Given what I found in the distributor should the car have even been able to start or would it just show itself has timing issues/missing? I know.. I changed to many things at once to know for sure (carb, HEI, plugs). But I found nothing in the carb during rebuild that showed a problem.

Prior to all this I was always battling an idle quality issue. sometimes it was good, sometimes not but always found myself trying to tune it.

Engine is kinda on the edge for the street.
383, Ie 200 heads, performer RPM, Holley 750, XE274h cam, 1.6 rockers, 1 3/4 headers. 3 inch exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 01:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: HEI problem - pickup coil

You changed out one Hei for another? Try the cap alone? Did you ever check the coil or the coil contact bronze button under the coil that feeds the rotor? Or even check to see if your rotor had the little fuse lilke link between the rotor tip and spring tab?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Casey

Yes.. swapped in another complete HEI.

Didn't check the coil other than looking at it. Under the coil was fine. rubber gasket and contact spring was in place.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdunson View Post
Yes.. swapped in another complete HEI.

Didn't check the coil other than looking at it. Under the coil was fine. rubber gasket and contact spring was in place.
You could try checking coil itself. Hey, its running now, go drive car , your done.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 07:26 PM

Magnetic pickups for HEI are available in two different ways.

One is the coil itself, the other is a complete assembly, case, coil, magnet, outer armature, screws. I have had a few HEI magnetic pickups go bad.

Dave Ray showed me a tool he made to align the outer armature when taking the pickup apart to replace just the coil, It's plastic, fits into the top bushing and aligns the armature centered. He says he's seen a lot of HEI's that lost spark at low speed on 4 cylinders, gained them back in the mid range, then lost the other 4 on top end rpms. On every one of them, when he aligned the pickup, the distributor worked properly again. All the ones that dropped cylinders had the outer armature out of alignment, sometimes striking the inner on 3 or 4 of the teeth.

His advice, the best way to replace a magnetic pickup is to just buy the one that is completely assembled, and pre-aligned. The ones I have purchased are only about a dollar more for the complete pickup assembled, over just the coil itself.

Regards,

Milton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode