New BB Crate engine not wired correctly?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 08, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

New BB Crate engine not wired correctly??

A little background: I've installed a ZZ502 in my '67. When I started the project I had nothing but a shell so all wiring would also be new. I installed the 502 and all the necessary engine and dash harnesses. I installed the battery in the trunk. The engine was prepped including removal of distributor for oil priming and all other fluid levels brought to the appropriate levels. Distributor was re-installed using some guidelines on this web site.
It did take some time wiring the HEI distributor, electric fuel pump, solonoid, ignition key, appropriate grounds. I used a ampmeter to locate live wires in the engine harness to help me in this task. I used aligator clips for trial and error to fire the engine.
After several trials I finally got the engine running and did my base timing by hand. With the exception of one noisy lifter the engine ran great even though my timing was by hand/ear and without a light.(However very rich with some unburned fuel fumes) This was also achieved without the use of the electric choke. The other day I decided to set the timing at the required 10 degrees BTDC.(w/o vacumme line attached) The distributor was almost there and little adjustment was needed. After this I decided to
hard wire the new gages including tach, oil pressure, water temp and hook up the electric choke.
NOW THE PROBLEM: After starting the engine I quickly realized that something has changed and it now runs terrible. Can't give it any throttle without stalling, barely idles, backfires, etc. What might be wrong? Electric choke wired wrong? Should I have wired it first before timing? Maybe I don't have a solid 12V to the electric choke?? Thanks for any ideas! KP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 01:24 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: New BB Crate engine not wired correctly??

Ken,
I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I'm winging this guess....It sounds like timing is off. You can disconnect the choke, but thats not causing your issues.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Check firing order as first thing to look at if the choke is open.

Tim Smith

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Update: disconnected electric choke(like it was when it ran), checked dist. cap and checked all wires to see if correct firing order is intact - it is. Disconnected all hard wires to gages(like it was when it ran), checked electric fuel pump, am running 6psi at regulator and then duel lines to 850 holley(just like it was when it ran). Tried to start and the result is that it tries to fire after cranking 8-10 times but no dice. Tried a little gas dripped in the carb. just for grinns to see if maybe a fuel problem but no change. It totally seems like a timing or distributor problem but what could have changed?? Pulled dist cap to see if anything obvious but no. Tried to readjust timing by hand to try to get it to fire but still no. Checked voltage to the leads to the starter, ignition and they read 12.4 volts. Maybe I should pull the dist. and reinsert. But if it was running before didn't I have it dist. teeth aligned correctly? Any ideas?

Thanks, Ken
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I would put my remote start switch on it
Connect my timing light
Crank it while looking at the timing.

Don't be afraid to twist heck out of the distributor if your timing light flashes. CCW advances timing. If your light doesn't flash either the light is bad or you're not getting fire. I've been known to walk over to another engine to verify my light works. Yes, they will flash at cranking speed.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

I'll try. Thanks KP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Update: Checked timing with engine cranking and it was right on. Now I'm convinced for several reasons that the problem is if fact the fuel system. I think that the engine is way over fueled. Engine was still trying to start. Pulled 3 plugs and all were fouled bad. I'm in the wrong forum for help with this problem. Thanks a lot for your idea with checking the timing while cranking because thats what led me to this fuel conclusion. Please feel free to add more input re: the carb you have and knowledge of that.
Thanks again. KP
KP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Naw you're not in the wrong forum. And you are most welcome.

If you have an electric fuel pump turn the damthing off, then try. Also since it is flooded, hold your foot to the floor while cranking. This lets it get air easier to dry out. Beware don't put your pointy head over the carb while trying this. Flooded engines have pisspoor table manners and IT WILL detect you over the carb and puke fire on you. Always try to put the air cleaner on any time possible when dealing with a pissed off engine, as it helps contain fire. Have a fire xt handy and a bigass coat or blanket or something you can heave on a fire to minimize damage.

I think you are either 180 out on the distributor or have just flooded it with all the attempts. If it's 180 out it will have exceptionally bad manners but if you flood it bad enough it can camouflage some of it. Beware damn good fires start this way.

If those plugs are really wet you may be better off pulling all of them, de-power ignition and crank it some to dry the holes. With carb wide open for easy air flow.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

See that you have elec FP, that's good. Do you have a regulator? And have you checked the fuel level in the bowls? What carb?

See that you are back east, please don't take the 'pointy head' wrong it was meant in fun. My part of the country we say 'pointy head' all the time. I've run into a few deals where regional speech differences can cause grief, hope this ain't one of em.

Also check for unplugged vac hoses or other sources of a vac leak. A big vac leak can make an engine not start worth a hoot. Look at PCV first.

Tim Smith
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Naw you're not in the wrong forum. And you are most welcome.

If you have an electric fuel pump turn the damthing off, then try. Also since it is flooded, hold your foot to the floor while cranking. This lets it get air easier to dry out. Beware don't put your pointy head over the carb while trying this. Flooded engines have pisspoor table manners and IT WILL detect you over the carb and puke fire on you. Always try to put the air cleaner on any time possible when dealing with a pissed off engine, as it helps contain fire. Have a fire xt handy and a bigass coat or blanket or something you can heave on a fire to minimize damage.

I think you are either 180 out on the distributor or have just flooded it with all the attempts. If it's 180 out it will have exceptionally bad manners but if you flood it bad enough it can camouflage some of it. Beware damn good fires start this way.

If those plugs are really wet you may be better off pulling all of them, de-power ignition and crank it some to dry the holes. With carb wide open for easy air flow.

true dat.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Thanks for info! I'll try more today after work. No on pointy head. Gotta have good sense of humor in life and I do. Thanks, KP
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Sorry for late update-been busy with other things. Problem was carb(Holly 850) was dumping too much gas. With engine running at idle you could see gas dripping out of the jets into the throat and therefore flooding it our. I adjusted the fuel level in the bowls to the top of the drain screws and that took care of the xtra fuel. I retimed the engine and reconnected the vacuume advance. I still have mort fine tuning because it is still too rich but in the middle of this the fuel pump was way too loud and Mallory wanted me to send it to them for testing. I'll keep you guys posted after I get it back and refire the enging. By the way, the dist. seems to have been installed correctly and my wiring was good also. Thanks again, Ken
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

May wanna change the oil....could be runied with all the gas in it, and could mess up your motor.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode