Engine combo - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Engine combo

Well Im due to pick up my motor from the engine shop this weekend. Had it bored 40 over, 2690 steel crank was cleaned up, forged pistons installed. I need help selecting head / cam combo..

I have the camel humos here in the garage. They re the 1.94 heads and not so sure I want to use them. Id really like something a bit better..

Ive been reading up on all the Performer RPM package threads here and it seems like the heads are great for the money, but the RPM cam is old and outdated.. If I went with these heads what cam would you suggest? Not so sure Im comfortable running solid.. Id like a good hydraulic or possibly a roller..

Im not opposed to other heads besides the RPMs. I would love a set of AFR's but I dont think I have the funds for that right now.

im looking to make a minimum of 400hp and get the car mid to low 12's

4 speed
currently 3:08 gears (changing soon to something, maybe 3:55's or 3:73's)

Thanks

68 SS 357, AFR195, Hotchkis, TKO600, 3:73

Last edited by Miikeremains; Aug 7th, 08 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Engine combo

how about trick flows 23 power packages? Anyone have experience with them?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I would pick up a set of aluminum bowties off ebay before I buy edelbrock heads.
There heads are ok but you pay too much for the performance you would get.
I think a set of patriots or canfields would yield better performance but the quality won't be as good.
Look around on ebay for brodix, older afr's, bowties... there everywhere. just make sure they don't need re building.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

been scouring ebay religiously but cant find any used AFR's.. Patriots ive read are junk... My local speed shop (which is doing the machining) keeps mentioning the Performer RPMs..

Those Jegs canfields are decent?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Patriots are not junk. I'm betting 99% of the people who talk bad about them have not even installed a set or have been in any vehicle with them.
IMHO canfields are as good as patriots.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I would try a set of Patriots if I needed some heads at the moment. I will need heads in about 6 months so I may try them...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 01:55 AM

Canfield Heads are a good head. Their flow numbers are just slightly below AFR's numbers and they've been around for a long time. RHS (Racing Head Service) out of Memphis used to be a good head too. Problem is too many big business types hurting the little guys. I'm not sure about the SBC heads but Edelbrocks BBC heads actually had some pretty impressive numbers compared to others and the RPM heads are not the basic Edelbrock Performer Heads they are the step up, but with the Canfields you get the 2.055 Intake valves on their 195cc heads and the 2.08's on their 220cc models. Price on Canfields is reasonable too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 02:04 AM

Compare these numbers from a Canfield 195cc to AFR's 195cc and you'll see they are very close. I think their quality is fine and 15-20 years ago before trick flo, and AFR came along, a lot of people were running the Canfields. IMHO they are well worth the money.
VALVE LIFT .100 .200 .300 .400 .500 .600 .700
Intake Port 72.0 145.0 201.0 247.0 258.0 259.0 259.0
Exhaust Port 53.0 107.0 143.0 175.0 190.0 200.0 203.0
These are typical flow numbers at 28 inches of water measured on a SF 600 bench by an independent shop.

I have also been wondering about those Patriot Heads too. They are cheap, cheap at 795 a pair. For a budget it would certainly be a cheap way to get a set of 2.02 which would still flow more than the 1.94's and be lighter to boot and probably run cooler so for a guys trying to build something just in the 400 HP range they would probably be fine too, with a healthy cam. Ok that's it my 2 cents worth.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I found someone selling a brand new in the box set of twisted wedge heads for $850.00. Any thoughts?

My engine builder carries All these heads and I mentioned that I would spring for the AFRs and he is still recommending the RPMs.....

What size intake runner is best for my motor? Its a flat top piston 355 and will be about 9.8:1 with 64cc chambers. I have not yet bought a cam so will buy a cam to match whatever heads I get..

The RPMs are 170cc, AFRs are 180 & 195 + . Are there big gains from a bigger runner?

I dont plan on stroking the motor or anything down the line..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode