1969 Camaro SS 396(Maybe A LS1 Swap) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

1969 Camaro SS 396(Maybe A LS1 Swap)

I don't know LS1's to much but the driveabilty of the LS1 motor is day and night comparing it to a big Chevy.I don't know if Im going to do the swap.For one thing I would be driving the car more.I know the cost of swapping is not going top be easy for me.I see alot of guy's in the past few year's that have done the swap.Is it worth it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 11:37 PM

Re: 1969 Camaro SS 396(Maybe A LS1 Swap)

I'd say go for it man. The LS1 is one hell of an engine and you can make some huge numbers with them fairly easily, but not very cheap. Not only are they capable of big numbers, but they are going to be much more fuel efficient than any carb'd V8 can ever hope to be, to an extent of course.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

The only thing is I like to run nitrous and I heard somewhere that the LS1's don't live to long on the bottle.I think it would be alot more fun getting around 20 mpg then getting maybe 6 mpg.I never had a working fuel gauge in the 19 year's I have owned my 396 SS but with a good size cam,4.11 Gear's and no overdrive maybe I could get 10 to 12 mpg.I actually seen a few LS1 69 Camaro's for sale but for ridiculously high prices.I don't know if the LS1 will get me near 425 horsepower.It would be a better swap if the motor was a little more bigger thus providing more torque.I can't say though because I have never been in a LS1 car before.Driveability is what makes a car fun to drive these days especially with new technology.The swap can't be all that easy though.Before I start buying anything I will need to talk to a few guy's who have done the swap.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 09:28 AM

Just go to Youtube and type LS1 in the search and you'll find plenty of LS1 cars with 400+ HP.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepsiS View Post
Just go to Youtube and type LS1 in the search and you'll find plenty of LS1 cars with 400+ HP.
I know with the right Mod's the LS1 would be faster then my 396/402 gas guzzler.I would like to get an idea how much such a swap would cost.I would have to get the T-56 Transmission as I love manual transmission's(especially with nitrous) with the exception of Turbo car's with Automatic's.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

personally i feel its not worth it

what is fun about driving a mild mannered very streetable muscle car

leave the new technology to the new cars and keep the old with the old
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY15 View Post
I don't know LS1's to much but the driveabilty of the LS1 motor is day and night comparing it to a big Chevy.I don't know if Im going to do the swap.For one thing I would be driving the car more.I know the cost of swapping is not going top be easy for me.I see alot of guy's in the past few year's that have done the swap.Is it worth it??
Don't do it. LS-1s are crap. When its time to rebuild, you have to though away the block. Or spend a fortune on special sleeves, since they cant be bored. The fun of old cars is working on the old motors!

69 SS350 ZL-2 4 speed, original paint, unrestored -SOLD

1972 AMX 401ci, 4 speed, cowl induction, console, gauges, posi, A/C, unrestored original
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I'd say do it. You can do it cheap. Who ever told you ls1's don't live long under spray does not know what they are talking about, if you have a computer it would be hard to destroy the motor if tuned properly and they are stronger than just about any Chevy big block or small block. They have 6 bolt mains and FORGED internals. the Ls series of motors is the most durable motor Chevy has produced yet, all aluminum so you will shed a lot of weight from the iron big block, fuel injection... It's a night and day difference, you can't even really compare old to new. My cousins ls1 with a cam, exhaust and a tune made 390whp in an 01' camaro.
Btw theres a few different things you can do with an ls1, they do make stroker cranks...
No offense but saying Ls1's are crap is pretty bold.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

I just traded in a 05 GTO that came stock with 400 hp at the crank. It was a really sweet ride just because of the LS2 motor. Could really have cared less about the body it was stuck in. The new vettes have 430 and the ZR1 that comes out next year will have 638 albeit because of a maggie supercharger.

They can take the abuse unless you get into seriously high HP numbers and then the aluminum blocks will cause some problems if not prepped correctly.

Also read this months Car Craft and it will lay it all out for you. If you stroke the LS motor(a popular mod) you have to pay attention to which block you are using to determine how big a stock you can go.

Yes, you can only over bore between .010 and .030 on the blocks before you have to coonsider sleeves. That is on the all aluminimum. Cast Iron truck blocks like the LQ9 can go more but how much I am not sure.

If you are serious about your HP then you can order a LSX block from GM which is supposedly built to handle 2000 hp.

Basically you can get big block power from these engines without much work. However, the down side is a SBC is still cheaper and simpler (no computer). You can go cheap on an LS1(like go with a carb setup) but it will be all the ankle biter costs that will run up the costs like a new fuel tank, modified oil pan, electric fuel pump, motor mounts etc.

These engines have been around now since 1997 so folks are starting to figure them out. While I won't say they will ever replace the SBC or BBC but they are now an attractive option for older cars if you have the budget. Eventually they may be the engine of choice as SBC and BBC get harder to find just like the SBC/BBC became the choice when flat heads and 409's went away.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKLYSS View Post
Don't do it. LS-1s are crap. When its time to rebuild, you have to though away the block. Or spend a fortune on special sleeves, since they cant be bored. The fun of old cars is working on the old motors!
Crap? How many have you been around? I've seen many ls1s torn down after 150K+ miles and you can still see the hone marks in the cylinders. Its so much easier to make power with an LSX type motor than a sbc, or bbc for that matter. Awesome heads for an LS1 are in the 23-2500 range. A big block can be 3500-5000. I can agree that old cars an old engines do go together, but who can argue when you are getting 500 rwhp from a heads/cam/bolt on 346 c.i. stock short block LS1? A friend of mine had an 03 Z06 that had an LS6 engine (LS1 short block with better heads) and with a halltech cold air intake, headers and 3" exhaust he base lined at 365 rwhp and 370 ft lbs of tq. After a set of trick flow heads, cam, underdrive crank pulley, fast 90 mm intake, ls2 ported throttle body, electric water pump and a tune, he did 521 rwhp and 464 ft lbs of tq. Thats almost a gain of 160 rwhp and 100 ft lbs of torque. I guess that would equate to around 575 hp at the flyweel and close to 500 ft lbs on pump gas from 346 cubic inches. Its unreal and he was still getting 25-28 mpg.

short vid of a 67 Camaro with an LS1, T56, and a magic stick cam.

http://s14.photobucket.com/player.sw...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

LS1's love nitrous, you just have to get the right cam. TRMIN8R, a member on LS1tech.com ran a ton of bottles through his cam only 2000 SS. Spraying 150-200 hp shots everytime. I'm not positive, but I think he ran about 200 bottles through his before the motor let go.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8216938474707581510

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode