Help me set my initial timing for first time firing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Help me set my initial timing for first time firing

When I fired my 460 for the first time, my timing was way too retarded and it took me a couple of tries to get it figured out. Once I turned the hell out of the dizzy, it fired right up.

Well now it's time to fire the 454 in my tow vehicle. I'm trying to figure how to get real close so it fires with a couple of cranks. Carb will be full and so on.....this is just a timing question. If I have my motor at exactly TDC, and I have a pen mark on the base of my dizzy for #1, about where to the left or right of my mark (as you are looking at my dist) should my rotor be???

Sorry......I'm not for hire as a graphics design artist!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Help me set my initial timing for first time firing

The rotor should be to the right of your number 1 mark.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

The distributor is advanced by rotating it the same direction that the vacuum advance pulls the breaker plate (counter clockwise as you look down on the distributor). So if you rotate the dist counterclockwise towards the mark on the right, you are advancing the ignition system. (This is one of those things you need to close you eyes and think about).

alan

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 03:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

easiest way is to put the engine exactly where you want it (10 BTDC? 18?)
Then hook up a timing light, turn the key on, and rotate the distributor CCW until the light flashes.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I stab em at about 20-30-40 BTC and line the rotor up with the center of the lug. I don't even need a timing tab, just get the TDC mark somewhere slightly drivers side of vertical and it'll go first revolution. I don't use vac advance usually but if I did it wouldn't be on there for 1st bust off.

The timing light trick doesn't work real well on my Summit distributor, only flashes if you twist the distributor fast and then you are unsure where you were when it flashed. Old batts in my light? nawww. Never tried it on my MSD or a GM HEI. I bet the MSD would light it.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 05:00 PM
Banned
Ron

It's better to be slightly advanced than retarded!.....So rotate the distributor slightly counterclockwise.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
It's better to be slightly advanced than retarded!......
Oh that's great!!!!
My parents said that I was more on the retarded side!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 11:52 AM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
My parents said that I was more on the retarded side!

ahhh!.....That explains why you write or type so big!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

are you using and MSD box?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 03:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I use a similar technique to JimM.. but not with a timing light as I too have problems getting them to fire. Instead I pull #1 plug wire off the plug, and stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire (tight fit)... with the ignition ON, and the distributor loosened, hold the screwdriver blade near to a 'ground' (near being about 1/16" or so).. now rotate the distributor back and forth til you hear/see the spark from the screwdriver arcing to ground. If you just rotate the distributor back and forth.. smaller and smaller around the 'arc' point, you can get the timing set within a degree or so of *desired* (if you start the engine off at TDC with the crankshaft mark set to the desired point). I never have problems with immediate fire using this technique, and the timing is close enough to 'run in' the engine without doing anything additional...

Gary
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

The most important thing when setting Initial Timing of any engine is to ensure the Throttle plates of the carb are positioned between the 2 orifices just below the transition slots of the Venture Throats. This is the Idle Circuit. Set the Idle Air Screw at approx 1 turn off Seat and ensure the secondary plates are seated. Don't mess with the Carb adjustment until after you have established the Initial Timing. If you do it's usually minor adjustment of the throttle screw to place the Plates in the optimum position of the Idle Circuit and the Idle Air Screw respond. Plug all Vacuum sources; Distributor Pod, PCV, PB line, Tranny Modulator Valve ... etc. There must be no Vacuum leaks. Pour a little gas down the Carb throat and turn the Distributor until it Starts and Idles nicely with the existing Carb setting then lock the Distributor. This is the Initial Timing and is different for every engine. You can now reconnect the vacuum sources and fiddle with the Idle Air and Throttle Stop Screws. The Idle Air optimum is approx 3/4 turn off the seat and no more them 1 1/4 turn. If it's not there something is wrong. The Throttle Screw can be adjusted to compensated for accessory loads like Electric Fans, Air Conditioning, minor vacuum usage for PCV... etc.

NOTE: If a BBC doesn't fire within one a couple of turns OPEN the hood and check things out. You never know. A friend of mine with a BBC opened his hood after a couple of turns to find the Air Cleaner Off and the Coil wire stuck down the Carb after blowing the doors off a Competitor.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 8th, 08 at 09:37 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 08, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ron....this thing will be lit on an engine stand. The carb is already set to fire at about 2,300 rpms. It's not new. It's the carb that was on the truck before I rebuilt it. I know that you DO NOT want to be messing with carb settings when you are trying to break in a cam, etc.

As for the badbird Ron.......You ought to see how thick my coke-bottle glasses are!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 08, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

dubs: LOL-I think you know what your doing

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode