Dies if I punch it a little - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 08, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dies if I punch it a little

I have put an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold & a Holley 600 cfm carburetor on my all original 327/275hp engine (until I can get the original quadrajet rebuilt).

The car drives in traffic & on the freeway just fine.

While Iím in gear if I punch the gas peddle much at all from a total stop, the engine will die, guaranteed. It will start right back up with a turn of the key. I have to be pretty gentle with the gas peddle.

I canít find a vacuum leak around the manifold or base of the Holley by spaying carb cleaner around sealed areas.

If I turn the idle mixture screw in on the passenger side, it has NO effect.
If I turn the idle mixture screw in on the driver side, it will kill the engine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am sooooo freaking tired of messing with these carburetors I could scream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 08, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Dies if I punch it a little

The mixture screw on the passenger side sounds like the problem. It should kill when turned all the way in, but they should be close to 1 1/2 to 2 turns out... Do a search on tunning and you will be able to work out the problem...

Do you have the vacuum advance hooked up right and also when the car is running with the air cleaner off, you should be able to look down the carb and give it gas to see both Right and left side jets squirting some gas. If you only see the driver side then the passenger side i plug up.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 08, 05:51 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: Dies if I punch it a little

You may luck out and be able to fix this with a can of Gumout carb cleaner!....Remove the idle mixture screw and attach the thin, red spray tube to the can of Gumout and start spraying!.....If it has no effect then something is clogged in the passages of the metering block and will require disassembly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode