Help with rod id - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Send a message via AIM to smith69z
Help with rod id

I have a set of rods that came with a block I bought. I am trying top find out more info on them to be able to sell them since I do not need them. The have the cyl stamped on the rod and end cap, the letters "AC" on each cap, 3 digit number I am assuming weight (618, 624, etc) and GM or CM with a A, B, C or D on the cap as well. And information on these rod would be appreciated. BTW: The block was a 302 which came with the correct 1178 crank and 30/30 cam. I ended up buying pink rods but never had the engine builder look at these rods.

69 Fathom Green RS/Z-Endura bumper - Never finished but finally certified.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smith69z; Aug 10th, 08 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 06:24 PM

Re: Help with rod id

Depending on year, the 1967 302 have 11/32" bolts in them and press fit pins and the 1968/'69 have 3/8" rod bolts and press and floating fit pins.

I think it's the 1969 that are the stock floating rod's, but I may be off here.

Anybody know more?? I'm really not up on the so-called, "pink" rods from back then, sorry..

pdq67

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 07:24 PM
Bill

picture ?

The numbers and letters dont mean anything, just forging marks. If there are cylinder numbers stamped on them, then they have been in an engine, or someone stamped them. No Chevy rods were stamped at the factory.

What size rod bolts ? 3/8 or 11/32 ?

They sound like stock rods to me, nothing unusual.
They sound like stock rods to me, nothing fancy.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thanks guys, I'll get some pics out. Hate to leave them laying around if someone could use them.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

These rods came with my DZ block. Trying to see if I can identify what they are.
Has AC on top, GM(A,B,C,D) on one side of the cap with the weights on the other. Has one letter on the cam end face. Some are B's, A's etc.. Any idea? Thanks

Last edited by smith69z; Sep 8th, 08 at 05:54 PM. Reason: pic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 06:23 PM
Bill

Look like stock rods to me. Cant tell by the picture which size bolts are in them, but they are nothing special. They do look like they have aftermarket bolts in them but its hard to tell for sure by the camera angle. Looks like a dimple in the top of the bolt like ARP etc.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Since the block came with the correct crank and pistons I was trying to find out if these could be the correct rods for a 69 302. ARP bolts as the bolt has the lettering "ARP".

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

69 302 rods should be machined for full floating pins. An easy way to tell is there should be a hole in the top of the small end for oil to get to the piston pin. There should also be a letter 0 cast into the bottom of the rod cap between the bolt hole & the flat machined surface as shown in the first pic. Heavy duty Chevy SB rods will normally have the sides machined all the way to the top on the big end next to the head of the rod bolt as shown on the rod on the right in the second pic. Sometimes they will be machined all the way to the bottom next to the nut as well. A regular standard duty rod will be rough cast near the bolt head as shown on the rod on the left. Most "good" rods will have either the 0 or an X on the bottom of the rod cap. An interesting thing for anyone to remember who is looking for a low budget set of the "good" heavy duty rods is that they are commonly found in HO 305 engines from mid 80s Z/28s & Monte SS cars. They aren't "pink" rods but are the next best thing. Also forged steel 350 cranks are commonly found in GMC school bus engines from the early to mid 70s. Hope this helps.

Last edited by NHBandit; Sep 10th, 08 at 07:04 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith69z View Post
I have a set of rods that came with a block I bought. I am trying top find out more info on them to be able to sell them since I do not need them. The have the cyl stamped on the rod and end cap, the letters "AC" on each cap, 3 digit number I am assuming weight (618, 624, etc) and GM or CM with a A, B, C or D on the cap as well. And information on these rod would be appreciated. BTW: The block was a 302 which came with the correct 1178 crank and 30/30 cam. I ended up buying pink rods but never had the engine builder look at these rods.
Hi smith, I believe the '69 Z's were the fist ones to use the "O" rods, I'm not 100% sure (I can't find out right now) and I'm certain ALL the LT-1's had them. These were labeled as the original "pink-rods" from G.M.

I'll put a shot below comparing the original "O's" and the later "X's", substantial beam thickness!

I have access to these rods still today, I MAY even some brand new ones left! We bought many 302's years ago and immediately changed the rods to aluminum's. Very popular unit's "back when". I have dozen's used but in "mint" shape, never damaged! Some have the SPS/ARP bolt's already installed and they're balanced! I placed this "note" here because we are heavy into "resto's" in N.Y. Most have the "pink" color still visible!

(Add) You can see the "O" on the cap in the photo! That is the "pink-rod".

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Take a close look at the photo here, it shows the very distinct difference of why G.M. redesigned the forgings on ONLY the "pink-rods"! They are about the same in weight, but the "beams" will take much more power. Most time you work with these rods, you find "heavy" balance pads on top or bottom on most G.M.'s but NOT on the "O's", this was key issue when racing class cars years ago. Where these unit's needed a pin-end that was NOT balanced-on ("untouched") and one big-end also "untouched". Could be on the same rod and "pass"!

Last edited by GOSFAST; Sep 10th, 08 at 10:40 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 07:23 AM

There is no difference in the rods. They are made of the same material. The only difference is that the "pink rods" were shot peened and Magnafluxed from GM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 10:23 AM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Bassman View Post
There is no difference in the rods. They are made of the same material. The only difference is that the "pink rods" were shot peened and Magnafluxed from GM.
Maybe same material but the O rod on the left in Gofasts picture looks a lot stronger. That's how it looks here. Its even said there.

Harry P. Hunter
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 07:14 PM

Red face Re: Help with rod id

Never mind..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode