runs great for 6 minutes - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

runs great for 6 minutes

89 iroc 305 tpi, starts and runs strong for about 6 min, then won't pull past 3400 rpm, studders and dies, will not start back till the engine is cold 48psi fuel pressure, new cap, rotor, wires, ignition module, coolant sensor at front by thermostat,coil, we just got this car, this is the reason the previous owner sold it. 175lbs compression on all cylinders, fans are wired together and don't come on. when checking power to the fans test light shows it to be a ground but when we put 12 volts to the wire the fans come on. can a wire be a ground from a relay and then after you hot wire it from the battery the fans come on. do we have a bad ground on the fans? are they trying to ground through the hot feed wire. I remember something like this happening on a fan motor on a chevelle a long time ago. Any ideas? thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech

Re: runs great for 6 minutes

check the wiring to the temp sensor- if it is a two wire sensor, then it's possible for the two wires to be shorting out, which tells the ecm that it's still cold, which causes it to run pig rich like an older car with the choke stuck closed.
i've seen this happen twice- when it starts to run like crap, wiggle and twist the connector and see if it smooths out.
if it is a one wire temp sender- i don't think it is, but the one in the head for the gauge should be- check to see if there is a bunch of sealer on the threads, causing it to not get a ground.
also, a bad oxygen sensor will cause a car to run like crap once it gets up to temp and the ecm starts using it to trim the fuel.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

novaderrick,it does seem to be running very rich, i'll try wiggleing the 2 wires soon.thanks Jim

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim r View Post
novaderrick,it does seem to be running very rich, i'll try wiggleing the 2 wires soon.thanks Jim
the last car i saw this happen to- an 84 Z28 with the crossfire 305- would run perfect for about the first 5 minutes, then it would just sputter and die and not restart. if it would restart, the only way to keep it running was to keep feathering the throttle. i accidentally found the shorted wires on the sender when i was leaning on the engine trying to listen for vacuum leaks and what not while my cousin feathered the throttle inside the car- i set my hand on the sender, and the idle smoothed out. a quick look at it showed me that the insulation on the wires had shrunk back a bit, exposing the copper wires and allowing them to touch.
the only reason i didn't suspect it on that particular car at first was because the car had an engine fire recently, and there was a lot of melted vacuum lines that we replaced and a few wires that we spliced just to get it to run at all.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode