im eager to get my engine put together - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

im eager to get my engine put together

so this is what i thought about doing

i think im going to go the low compression way (11.6 comp) so i can run pump gas

anyways, i was thinking of reusing my old parts (462 heads, 280h comp cam, weiand xcellerator intake) and just buying new pistons/crank

the engine wont will only be run a little.. maybe 10 min here and there, so im not going to get the steam holes drilled

what do you guys think about that?

i was originally going to put my old engine back together and then start working on the new block.. but having an empty block just sitting in my garage is eating me up

just for kicks.. what power would i be looking at from that setup (small valve heads, and 230 duration @ .050.. .480 lift hydraulic cam)

looking at the srp -5cc pistons to give 11.6:1 comp w/ 64cc heads.. also not sure if im going 5.7 or 6" rods yet

will this be fine for pump gas?

im either going to get the dart pro 1 heads, or the dart cnc/afr heads in the future, and solid roller cam.. so compression will be the same but with aluminum heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: im eager to get my engine put together

10.1 max with cast iron heads and that cam.And that would be 93 pump and fine tuning the advance curve and carb. jetting.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
10.1 max with cast iron heads and that cam.And that would be 93 pump and fine tuning the advance curve and carb. jetting.
is it because the cam is too small for the engine?

im running that cam with the same heads on a 302 and it runs fine on pump gas

although thats with the timing very far retarded

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: im eager to get my engine put together

Those camel back heads you have (462's) do not breath very well (at least the 461's don't), unless they see some major port work. It is very easy to overcam those heads. 11.6 compression isn't what I would call "low". IMHO. What C.I. is your engine ? A 327 or a 350 is not quite 10:1 with flat top pistons.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

My 11.3 scr'd 412 had like 8.3 dcr with a 300ish duration solid roller.

You'll detonate your butt off on pump gas with a 280, I'd bet.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Those camel back heads you have (462's) do not breath very well (at least the 461's don't), unless they see some major port work. It is very easy to overcam those heads. 11.6 compression isn't what I would call "low". IMHO. What C.I. is your engine ? A 327 or a 350 is not quite 10:1 with flat top pistons.
the 462's do flow better than the 461.. but not by much.. they are still "crappy"

personally i consider anything under 12:1 low compression.. dont know why

the engine i want to put them in would be a 404ci engine (400 SBC bored 20 over)

they are/were on a 302 with 12.5:1 compression before running pump gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode