Trouble finding SBC cams. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Trouble finding SBC cams.

I've been searching around on Summit and Jegs for small base circle cams, and I could only find 4 total, 3 on Summit and 1 at Jegs, solid rollers that is.

I want to find some SBC cams because I'm now considering building a 383 stroker and if I remember correctly, I would need to use a small base circle cam. Am I doing something wrong or are there very limited choices when it comes to SBC cams?

Also, is there any way to avoid using a SBC cam and using just a regular one when building a 383 stroker?

Thanks, Jeff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Trouble finding SBC cams.

Almost any cam can be ground with SBC just call the manufacturer.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Also, depending on the exact combo, you may not need it.
Mine, an internal balanced crank using profiled 6" capscrew rods, did not.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 02:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Ditto to what JimM said. I got into this issue and becaused I used profiled rods (compstar) cap screw type, I did not need a SBC cam but because I need a new cam anyway, I went that small route. I went with Ud Harolds grind recommendation in billet material. Lucky for me , I could still use my large base circle roller lifters. This issue also impact pushrod length.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of using this SCAT stroker kit.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I just called SCAT and they told me that they could work something out for a stoker kit where I would not need a SBC cam, but they said that (as you guys said) most cam companies will have no problem doing a .900 circle base.

Thanks again for the help guys. The maturity level on this site is amazing as well as the help that you guys give with any and all questions that I've had so far. Thanks again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

It mainly depends on your rods, if you use a "profiled" rod or a rod with capscrews you shouldn't need a small base circle. I have built quite a few 383's and I have never had to run a small base circle. The rods are what makes the difference. Stock style rods (nut and bolt caps) can cause more clearance issues from my experience. I used stock rods in my first stroker and still was able to use a standard base circle though the rods had to be massaged quite a bit.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Looking up parts on Jegs and Summit is easy and sometimes makes comparisons easy. But what you have to remember is they don't list EVERYTHING. A good trick at both houses is to find something you want at the manufacturers website, then go on summit/jegs and find their vendor prefix for whoevers stuff it is, then do a search for it using the vendor prefix and the vendor PN. And poof there it is usually.

Summit is easier cuz they use letters for the vendor prefix, Jegs uses #'s.

That probably won't work with a SBC cam though, you'd have to call Summit and they'd have to call Comp etc. But they can still do it.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great input guys. I think I'll go with the profiled Scat rods. Bob at Scat said it would be no problem using a regular cam with the profiled rods and they aren't very expensive at all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 07:24 PM

Please contact Delta and tell them the spec's of the cam you want and to ask them for a quote for a SBC jobber using your furnished cam core.

I bet they can fix you right up worth the money IF the core will grind to this dia. and still be hard.

And I have a sneaking feeling that this CHEAP solid lifter cam from Summit is a SBC cam. Their PN 10341.

They call it a 264/246 108/108, 498" gross lift and it need's .030" lash on both sides, BUT I figure it is really this Elgin solid lifter cam.

E-1133-P; 280/246, 108/106, .498”, Lash, .030” and .030”.

Sucker was only like $45 plus S&H a while back!

A heck of a cheap solid lifter cam by me!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode