Vacuum Advance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Vacuum Advance

Hi. My distributor has a vacuum advance. The person I got the car from has it hooked to the front of the carb. My uncle says it should be on the manifold. That is gets more power on the manifold. Problem is my Edlebrock performer manifold doesnt have a place to put the vacuum line. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:17 PM

Re: Vacuum Advance

Which exact barb do you have? Depending on the carb used, it may have full manifold vacuum sourcing already on it. You also DON'T want to just put the vacuum advance hose on full manifold vacuum, that could give you way too many degrees of vacuum timing. Making a very low cost stop plate would no doubt help in that situation.

Lets take small steps first, figure out what you have, and go from there. Carb type first, please. From your board name, we could think you had a 1984 Z28, which would have a Quadra-Jet on it, yes/no? We might also think that the 1984 Z28 engine also had an EGR valve, yes/no? EGR valve changes things on vacuum advance sourcing.

Regards,

Milton
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

It is a 84 Z28 But it has a 350 in it. It has roller rockers, Edlebrock Performer Manifold, And A Edlebrock Carb..That is all I know so far. I am new to the V8 World.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Assuming you have a performer series and not a Q-jet type edelbrock.

Where is your vacuum line on the carb in this photo?
The yellow port does the same thing that your uncle is talking about, it is below the throttle blades and has vacuum all the time as long as the engine is running.
Ported (red) only has vacuum when the throttle is open because it is above the throttle blades.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

My Vacuum Hose is on the red circle.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Move it to the yellow one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Yellow would be better but if you move it to the red your going to have to re set the idle and maybe the timing.
If it runs fine now leave it unless your confident you can set timing properly and have the tools to do it.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

Last edited by ace's68; Aug 11th, 08 at 05:52 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You won't have to retime the engine.

The idle rpm may increase, and you might have to turn the throttle stop screw down a lil.
If you look on that pic, on the right where the linkage attaches, you can see the straight head screw sticking straight out at us.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
You won't have to retime the engine.

The idle rpm may increase, and you might have to turn the throttle stop screw down a lil.
If you look on that pic, on the right where the linkage attaches, you can see the straight head screw sticking straight out at us.
Ok so I moved it to the yellow one. But When I unplugged it from the red I noticed that the distributor moved. I can move it with my hand.. Now what do I do to find out exactly where it needs to be?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

This is kinda why I was implying if it isn't broke don't fix it.
If you do have a timing light, read the instructions on how to use it.
You should have a timing tab on the drivers side just above the balancer and pulley.
When you time it your going to want the line on the balancer to match up with the line on the timing tab that is 10 degrees btdc. the 0 mark on the tab is zero degrees so if you count each mark going up you want the balancer line at the 10 degree mark on the timing tab.
Each little dash is 2* so 0 then up, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and so on.
The reason I say 10 is because most stock cars are between 8 and 10 degrees btdc.

This may seem confusing.
Which way did you move the distributor and how much? If you moved it slightly don't worry about re timing it as long as the car runs fine. If the distributor moves very freely your going to want to move and tighten the hold down clamp.
moving the distributor to you is advancing, moving it away from you is retarding.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 06:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, why isn't the distributor bolted down?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I moved it alot.. I do have a timing light but dont know how to use it. Someone said to just start the car and listen to the way it sounds..So I did that and waited to the idle smoothed out. I also kinda remembered where it was. The person before me failed to tighten down the keeper. I just tightened it and took it for a ride. Seems ok. I will drive it to work in the morning and see how it does. Please check here tomarow night for a update I may need help..lol Thanks so much for the help.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 08, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Hook the timing light to the #1 cylinder(drivers side closest to the radiator), then make sure you have the red port plugged since you are not using that one anymore. Next, pull the vacuum line off the red port or off the distributor and plug it as well. Next, start the car and allow the choke to open fully. Next, I set my timing to 18* initial. Depending on the mods you have, you may need less initial(trial and error) to see where the engine likes it. This is where a little patience and testing comes in. With the initial timing set, lock the distributor down. I found it's better to use a stud rather than a bolt, something like this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

After the initial timing is set, unplug the red port and hook the vacuum acvance hose to it and then reset your idle if necessary. Again, depending on the cam and other mods, you may have to run more or less idle speed. I run a 224*/224* 470*/470* cam and I can run my idle at 800rpm in park/neuitral and it drops to 650rpm in drive and the car idles great, well it used to, but that's something for another post. Good luck. Take your time and you can do it. I am sure your father can guide you if you get lost. You can always log on here. There are always TC members to assist you as well.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 08, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

New York! Bummer. I was gonna come over and help.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode