opinion: If you could only have one - steel crank or 4 bolt??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

opinion: If you could only have one - steel crank or 4 bolt???

I read an interested post that got me realizing that 2 bolt mains can handle a lot more HP than I though in a BBC. I know that both would be ideal, but I'm wondering what would be the best for handling a little higher HP if you could only have one......a steel crank in a 2 bolt main BBC or a cast in a 4 bolt??? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: opinion: If you could only have one - steel crank or 4 bolt???

Yeah, you're right. Weird question.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 11:24 AM

It would depend on what kind of power you are talking about.
I made 720hp on a cast crank and a two bolt block. The motor had 100 to 150 runs with no probs. So there ya go. I like the cast crank, because it has a little give in it where a steal crank will break. But again, it depends on the amount of power you are going for...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 12:18 PM
Tech Team
Terry

I have see both types break. The difference is when the steel one went it bent and twisted first ...taking the block with it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

i talked to a drag racer before, and he told me that if you have a crank bust, or anything happen to the engine, a 2 bolt will fail just as much as a 4 bolt will

i would get a better crank and leave the 2 bolt

basically, if you put a cheap crank in, it explodes it is going to take out the 4 bolt mains as well as it would a 2 bolt
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

From experience, I would say a Forged Crank in a 2 Bolt Block with Studs should deliver a dependable 650 to 700 Hp.

I've run a Cross Drilled Cast BBC Crank at 6200 to 6500 rpm with approx 550Hp in a 2 Bolt Block without problems and actually prefer the lighter faster revving quality of the Cast Crank over the Heavier Forging for that 450 to 550 Hp range.

A BBC Revving anything over 7000rpm will destruct just as fast whether you're running a 2 or 4 bolt.

Just how many times do you rev that BBC over 6000rpm. Once you pass that 5000rpm mark, you have already broken the Law - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I would say forged in a studded 2 bolt. But if you are spraying it, get a forged one.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It's sounds like what you all are telling me is that my motors aren't producing enough power to even worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 05:23 PM
Banned
Ron

A 2 bolt main BBC, with horsepower ratings up too 350 HP and revs no higher than 5500 rpm, can use either a forged or cast crank, anything higher than 5500 rpm should have 4 bolt mains and forged cranks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 05:40 PM

Look, imho, you get up to 700hp w/ a stock block, SB and regardless, imho, it's going to start splitting down the V.

pdq67

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 05:56 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
it's going to start splitting down the V.

It won't with a pair of "cracker straps", designed for the V-8 engine!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Look, imho, you get up to 700hp w/ a stock block, SB and regardless, imho, it's going to start splitting down the V.

pdq67
He's asking about a Big Block.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dante'

I would not put a cast crank in anything, also I have never seen an engine let loose at the mains(2 or 4 bolt). I have a forged crank internally balanced 2 bolt main 427 that revs to 7000rpm without a hitch. Just get a good set of arp main bolts.

69 Camaro SS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 08, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Nine catastrophic failures in ten, something above the crank lets go,..usually the valve train in a BB.

FWIW
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 08, 10:02 AM

What HP are you looking for or what 1/4 mile ET do you have in mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode