REALLY finding TDC??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 08, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

REALLY finding TDC???

I've been doing different things with my recent build to help teach myself things I need to know (with your help). I have, to date, always installed my cams straight up. I though that it would be fun to put my dial indicator on my motor before I slapped the heads on to find TDC other than on my balancer. I was suprised to find that there seems to be a breaking over point where the rod goes from being almost all the way up to just starting down and my dial indicator didn't move. In other words, it seems that I could move my motor over just slightly and not move the dial. If that's the case, how in the heck to you really determine TDC???? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: REALLY finding TDC???

mark the piont where it stops and then the piont where it starts
then find the 1/2 way between..Damn near as, close as u will get TDC
be carefull
The cam turns 2x to the crank, so make sure that the crank is on the fireing stroke and not 180 degs out

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech

Here's a pictorial:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/67578/photo_01.html

Click on the other pictures for the remaining steps.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech

use a piston stop to find the actual true TDC.
without the heads on, bolt a piece of angle iron with a bolt in the middle across the top of the cylinder so the piston will hit it as it comes up.
gently crank the motor over one way until it hits the stop- and mark the balancer or write down the number on the degree wheel.
then, turn it the other way until it hits the stop, and mark the balancer or write down the number.
true TDC is exactly halfway between these two marks.
if the heads are installed, you do the same thing but with a stop screwed into the #1 spark plug hole.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
use A Piston Stop To Find The Actual True Tdc.
Without The Heads On, Bolt A Piece Of Angle Iron With A Bolt In The Middle Across The Top Of The Cylinder So The Piston Will Hit It As It Comes Up.
Gently Crank The Motor Over One Way Until It Hits The Stop- And Mark The Balancer Or Write Down The Number On The Degree Wheel.
Then, Turn It The Other Way Until It Hits The Stop, And Mark The Balancer Or Write Down The Number.
True Tdc Is Exactly Halfway Between These Two Marks.
If The Heads Are Installed, You Do The Same Thing But With A Stop Screwed Into The #1 Spark Plug Hole.
+1^
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

+1 to the above for using Timing Wheel and Piston stop, zero timing wheel, using piston stop.

Ed

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 03:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

I'll 2nd the using the piston stop and degree wheel. I highly recommend using comp cams crank socket so you can easily move your degree wheel. Its not necessary, but it sure makes life easier.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp+Cams/753185/10002/-1/10783

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

You can do it with your dial indicator, halfway inbetween any dimension down coming upwards from both directions. That sounds wierd, what it mean is to have the piston coming up each time you stop at say .050" before Zero on the indicator. The opposite of this would be .050 on the down stroke, and you would get some pin slop and piston slop in your reading.

BTW that dwell time you discovered at TDC is the reason they play with rod lengths. Altering rod length alters how long the piston is at TDC and thereby changes the crank angle when the power stroke begins.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
BTW that dwell time you discovered at TDC is the reason they play with rod lengths. Altering rod length alters how long the piston is at TDC and thereby changes the crank angle when the power stroke begins.

If this is a secret power trick Tim, please switch to stealth mode when giving me this info!!! LOL

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

The piston is at TDC exactly the same amount of time regardless of the length of the rod.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 03:23 PM

I used a micrometer dial indicator to find TDC on my 454. True TDC for mine was actually 4 degreees ADV on the factory indicator. I use 4 degrees as "my zero".
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
The piston is at TDC exactly the same amount of time regardless of the length of the rod.
I disagree. The difference is minimal, but it does exist.

Fathom Green 69 DZ x77 Done soon if the Mastercard holds out!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrisner View Post
I disagree. The difference is minimal, but it does exist.
When is the piston at TDC? Is it at TDC 0.001 BTDC? Is it at TDC 0.001 ATDC? TDC means top dead center, not somewhere around the top of the stroke. The length of the connecting rod will slightly affect the rate at which the piston approaches and leaves TDC, but TDC equals TDC for any rod.

At the same crank angle in a standard 350 SBC, how many degrees from TDC will a 5.7" rod be 0.001" deeper in the cylinder than a 6" rod?

2? 5? 7? 10? 15? >15?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

yeah I misspoke. It is at TDC the same time, it's the arc to the sides that alters.

Tim Smith
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

The arc to the side before the piston moves, I should say.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode