Use of guide plates on older 462 SBC Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Use of guide plates on older 462 SBC Heads

I'm putting together a 350 SBC, with refurbished 462 heads, a 3972178 mechanical camshaft; Z28 valve springs on existing intake/exhaust valves and 30 over flat top pistons w/valve reliefs. At present the rocker arm studs are the original pressed in type.

Question 1) Do I need to have screwed in studs installed w/pushrod guide plates.

2) They offer a flat guide plate and a raised guide plate. How do they differ in
use and which one should I use? I see that there is an adjustable Isky SB
guide plate available; is this good or bad?

3) Will the installation of screwed in studs and pushrod guide plates effect the
pushrod height?

Any particuliar brand better, or basic Summit brand products ok?

THANKS FOR ALL ANSWERS AHEAD OF TIME.

John Lighthart
James Island, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: Use of guide plates on older 462 SBC Heads

I had the 186 heads on mine i used screw in studs and comp cams flat guide plates worked fine.I recently changed cyl. heads to a dart pro 1 aluminum head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Do the old school trick and have them pinned.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

When the machine shop did my 461's they machined the boss hight down for the guide plates and then tapped the holes for the screw in studs. I ended up buying .050 longer push rods cause of the block being decked and the heads shaved .0025 for flatness.

I went with ARP studs and Comp Cams rods,guides plates & CAM

Also if you plan on doing this change have the shop do everything but assemble the studs and guide plates. I had to undo everything and re-align
the guides so the rods will be symmetrical with the rockers and you should end up centered on the valves.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

Last edited by camjoe63; Aug 15th, 08 at 10:38 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 07:27 PM

Stock p/r slots are fine as are pinned studs.

I would however use a Louis/Slotting Tool on the ends of the head p/r slots that are closest to the rocker studs so if I was to use 1.6 ratio rockers later.

pdq67

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Yes by all means have the studs pulled and tappet for screw in studs and milled for Valve Guide Plates. SBC and BBC Studs are the same size. While you're at it, Open the Valve Springs Pockets to accept 1.439 springs.

If you want to learn everything there is about Fuelie heads get this book:

That Book includes Combustion Chamber and Port Templates - It is the Holey Grail of 60 and early 70 SBC Engines. As you see my copy has been well read - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 15th, 08 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 10:35 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

James you can pin them, I've run them this way. I've also had several sets modified and having access to a mill cut a set myself. If you go the route of screw in studs you also have the option of using the old style without the hex base, but in that case you can't use guide plates and you can't open up the pushrod holes in the head for 1.6 or larger ratio rockers.

I would certainly have the pushrod holes opened to allow you to change rocker ratios at a later date while the heads are off. Yes once the heads are back on you'll need to measure for the correct pushrod length to buy to have the correct geometry and rocker tip to valve stem contact point. Block decking, gasket thickness, milling heads, cutting rocker stud bosses for screw in studs and guide plates all have affects on what length the push rod should be.

Also don't trust what some of the "How To" books will tell you for how much of the stud boss to cut. I followed one of these the first time and it wasn't enough. As a result the stud sat too high and the rocker ended up too far down on the rocker stud. This is how I came to learn and measure all the differences in the various screw in rocker studs available. GM, ARP, Dorman, Summit, they are all veery different in length, hex base height, base to stud radius fillet radius, and how far down the stud the threads extend. GM is the absolute worst and I'd avoid it. ARP has the thinnest hex base of the 4 mentioned at .211" which is actually a good thing if your rocker is sitting lock on the stud. The others are .219 for Summit, .231 for GM and .296 for Dorman, which makes Dorman a poor choice in my book. GM has the shortest dimension from hex base bottom to the start of the threads on the shaft at .806" but it is by far the shortest stud and because of that I'd never suggest using it, amoung other things that I think make it a poor choice. Dorman and ARP are second to the GM in this dimension at .949" and .952". Overall length from bottom of hex base to top of stud the ARP and Dorman again are top at 1.75", Summit is 1.74", GM is 1.59".

But for strength look at the radius at the stud to hex base and GM only extends .050", while ARP is .185". I'd use ARP for strength, the length, the shorter hex base and they are ready to run with poly-locks right out of the box, unlike GM which needs maching the top flat.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 10:36 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Ron if that's Grumpy's Vega on the cover you can see it in Ocala Florida at Don Garlits museum of drag racing. It was there a year or so ago when I was there.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

If anyone is to going to cut their heads for larger diameter springs, I suggest that you drop a .060 shim on the original seat first so the cutter stops when you hit the shim and you don't drill into water. You can't imagine the grief you will have when you need to repair 16 little leaks below the springs, btdt.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 08, 11:57 AM

Again.

"Stock p/r slots are fine as are pinned studs.

I would however use a Louis/Slotting Tool on the ends of the head p/r slots that are closest to the rocker studs so if I was to use 1.6 ratio rockers later."

The "Slotting/Louis Tool" is used w/ a 5/16" drill bit and a 1/4" variable speed hand drill. It is just a guide so that you can cut the slot longer the CORRECT shaped way closest to the stud. I have a new one in my dresser drawer now.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode