engine idle - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

engine idle

ive got a 350 with a quadrajet. it idles at about 1000 rpms which seems to be on the high side. i adjusted the idle screw all the way down as to not contact thte stop anymore. first, what should i be ildeing at? the cam is a very mild cam. how can i adjust to bring the idle down? i dont have an exact timing. if i retard the timing anymore, it startes to backfire out of the carb.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: engine idle

Check for vacuum leaks.
Also it does not take much movement at all to retard the timing a few degrees and drop the idle speed.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

make sure the secondaries are closed all the way. had a carb where the secondaries were a bit sticky and wouldn't close all the way, couldn't idle below 1200 with the idle adjustment backed all the way out. a good dose of carb cleaner and worked the secondaries back and forth, problem solved.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Make sure she's not on the fast idle cam, it's on the pass side of the carb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Did you make sure the engine was warmed up completely before making the adjustments? The choke needs to be in the verticle position. That way it's not idling on the fast idle(choke setting).

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
i dont have an exact timing. if i retard the timing anymore, it startes to backfire out of the carb.
You probably need to advance the timing, then back off the idle adjustment screw ... Assuming you have a vacuum advance, you will need to pull and plug the vacuum line to initially set your timing. Afterwards, particularly if you are using full time vacuum, you will need to back off the idle speed after reconnecting time vac adv.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

john, i tried to retard the timing. when i do that just even a smidge, it starts to get bad response and back fires out of carb. i cant find any vac. leaks.

arron, the secondaries are closed all the way. its a freshly rebuilt carb.

charlie, i have it completely warmed up. i tried to do the adjustments affter i would go on a test drive.

i havent really tried to apply to much advance. i will try to do that on my next tuning session.

thanks guys.

angel

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Did you pull the dizz (180* off). Also have you check the dizz to make sure its not off a tooth. Finally is the vacuum advance working.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

skip, are you talking about the distributor? its not 180 as it starts and runs fine. just idles a bit high at about 1000 rpms.

angel

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
skip, are you talking about the distributor? its not 180 as it starts and runs fine. just idles a bit high at about 1000 rpms.
Ok then have you hooked up a vacuum gauge up to it, maybe the advance plate is stuck. If you unplug the vacuum advance hose will th idle drop.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You have a vacuum leak somewhere or the throttle plates are sticking open, push linkage with finger?

A stock SBC w/Q-jet should be able to idle down to 450 rpm, barely turn over, and pull 18"-20" of vacuum. Lots of good suggestions here. Tighten intake bolts, check hoses or disconnect them and plug the nipple(s), check fast idle cam has fallen out of the way, trans linkage, if automatic, is not binding?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Also if you have power brakes make sure the diaphram in the booster isn't leaking vacuum. Either vacuum test it or plug the carb port to see if it makes a difference.
JZ
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech

I wonder if the linkage from the pedal is holding it up?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

blue, linkage is not being held up.

skip, everett, and jeff, those are things that i havent done yet. i will pull the vac. advance hose and see if there is a drop. i will also try t pull the brake booster line and check that also. i also push the linkage all the way closed with finger and no change.

angel

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe throttle shaft bushings worn and leaking? If you have a rich idle and now a vacume leak that could do it. Warped base plate? Mabe a lean idle and post nassel drip through main nozzle you can see it hit the base plate with a flsh light.. Just some thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode