1968 BB Dipstick - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jacquie

Question 1968 BB Dipstick

I have a 68 Camaro RSSS with a 396/325 and manual transmission. I am trying to figure out what dipstick I need. I have heard that it should have a yellow tip, but I need to know what the length should be. Does anyone know the answer or know where I can find this information? The reason I ask is because I have two dipsticks, both have a yellow tip, but they are different lengths. I think that maybe someone switched tips on one of these. I need to know which one is right. Thanks!

Jacquie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 08, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: 1968 BB Dipstick

Can you believe those L78 BBC Yellow Teflon Collar DipSticks are selling for about $400 on eBay. I was so impressed I built my entire engine around it - LOL

What I did was fill an empty Oil Pan with 6 Quarts, as I use a Morrosso Side Kick Pan or 4 quarts if using a Stock Pan, and remarked the dip stick using a file. I suppose you could do the same thing to determine which is the correct stick. Caution - Ensure the Collar seats properly on the Tube and the stick does not bottom out on the bottom of the Pan.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 15th, 08 at 09:02 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 10:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee28 View Post
I have a 68 Camaro RSSS with a 396/325 and manual transmission. I am trying to figure out what dipstick I need. I have heard that it should have a yellow tip, but I need to know what the length should be. Does anyone know the answer or know where I can find this information? The reason I ask is because I have two dipsticks, both have a yellow tip, but they are different lengths. I think that maybe someone switched tips on one of these. I need to know which one is right. Thanks!
Jacquie,
In response to your question on length, the 69 parts manual shows that the length from the add line to the rubber insert on the handle to be 20 11/64 and the length from the full line to the rubber insert on the handle to be 19 17/32. shows part#3925599 but this # might be a replacement or updated #.
Do you know anyone with a 67 or 68 Chev. Parts Manual?
Bob C

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 10:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
Jacquie,
In response to your question on length, the 69 parts manual shows that the length from the add line to the rubber insert on the handle to be 20 11/64 and the length from the full line to the rubber insert on the handle to be 19 17/32. shows part#3925599 but this # might be a replacement or updated #.
Do you know anyone with a 67 or 68 Chev. Parts Manual?
Bob C
Take a look at the new thread on BB dipsticks and if you any information or pictures it would be appreciated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

For 68, 69 and 70 big block cars, the overall length of the entire dipstick is 24 1/4 to 24 3/8". The loop at the top is 2 7/8" from the top of the loop to the top of the bezel and the top of the loop is flattened and there is a light yellow plug in the end of the loop. From where the guide tube seats (not just the visible part of the dipstick) inside of the bezel to the "full" mark is approximately 19 3/8", and approximately 20 1/4" to the "add" mark. There is no part number on the original dipstick, only the following; ADD 1 QT., FULL, USE SE ENGINE OIL and a sideways letter E . The handle does not have a crimp or indentation showing where the looped handle is attached to the flattened part of the dipstick. The original part number was 3925599 .

Compare my description with the pictures of the ones sold as reproductions, which aren't very close.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 11:41 AM
Kevin

John, can BB dipsticks come in the flattened end variety too? check out the top dipstick in my thread.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140892

Kevin

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
John, can BB dipsticks come in the flattened end variety too? check out the top dipstick in my thread.

Kev,
I checked your pictures, and I'd be lying if I said I had any idea what it is for. The only reason I knew about the 68-69-70 dipstick is that I had one and just recently sold it. If I could have helped, I'd have be glad too. Sorry.....

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode