Automatic choke on 327/210 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Antonio

Automatic choke on 327/210

I have a continuing problem with the auto choke on my 327/210 (Carb is a Rochester 2GV)

The engine must be REALLY hot before the choke stops pushing. It's not even a matter of adjusting the choke rod. After driving a few miles in summer weather, I can still push the rod down well over 1/2 inch. No amount of adjustment will fix this

I tried boiling the choke thermostatic coil in a pot, and it does seem to work OK. You can readily see it contract and expand with temperature, no problem

I have three theories:

1) I am not installing the coil in right. But then again, there only seems to be one way to do it, or is there?
2) The coil is indeed faulty. But I don't see how...
3) Somebody told me that the manifold can get clogged with soot (Car has less then 50K miles, and it may never have been opened for all I know), and then the coil becomes "insulated" from engine heat and has a hard time warming up. The exhaust does spew a little soot when cold, for a minute or two, hardly surprising with the rich mixture

Which is more likely?

Thanks!

PS: In the mean time, I've built a spring contraption to keep the choke open after I start the engine

#1: 67 RS ragtop, Yellow, 230, 3 speed manual, manual everything, sold long ago, sorely missed
#2: 67 ragtop, White, 327/210/PG, 12 bolt posi, front discs, power all, tinted glass, metric dashb'd, tilt wheel, remote mirror, custom interior, clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 02:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Automatic choke on 327/210

Is this a diveorced choke (coil mounts on the intake manifold) or an integral choke (mounted on carb)?

The integral choke has a system of tubes that draw air heated air thru the exhaust crossover passage in the intake. These tubes can for sure get clogged, or even lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Antonio

I should have been more specific!

I have a divorced choke

#1: 67 RS ragtop, Yellow, 230, 3 speed manual, manual everything, sold long ago, sorely missed
#2: 67 ragtop, White, 327/210/PG, 12 bolt posi, front discs, power all, tinted glass, metric dashb'd, tilt wheel, remote mirror, custom interior, clock

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'll suggest several possibilities in my order of probability.
1 Missing heat riser
2 wrong intake gaskets (plugging heat passage acrosss intake)
3 wrong base gasket
4 plugged intake pasage.
The heat needs to flow all the way thru from the right side to out the left exhaust manifold.

Jeff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Antonio

Thanks a lot to you all for your input and ideas!

The heat control valve is indeed there. I have checked it OK for full and free motion. I won't be able to drive the car until the weekend, to see whether the valve actually opens when hot, but it is certainly shut when cold

Now, I think that rules out the heat riser. The worst thing that could happen is for it never to open, but that would make the choke warm up faster, while my problem is quite the opposite

Your suggestions (2) and (3) are difficult to check, as they involve disassembly (just like 4)

Now, to adress suggestion (4) (plugged passage), does that refer to the possibility I hinted at, of soot having clogged the manifold? Is that something that can actually happen? Or would the clogging be due to some substance other than soot? Any of these would explain everything (and leave me with the ugly prospect of lifting the intake manifold, which I really don't want to do

What's the most likely matter to be found there, soot, oil, gunk?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Most likely, burnt oil, coke, gritty stuff like the BBQ grill grid, the burnt stuff you brush off before using the grill.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Most likely, burnt oil, coke, gritty stuff like the BBQ grill grid, the burnt stuff you brush off before using the grill.
Yes times 2. I put it last on my list as I believe that most people with enough knowledge to assemble an engine would clean it all out during a rebuild. ( I read your post wrong and didn't realize this car may never have been apart) I think I'd pull the intake.

Jeff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Antonio

This engine has probably never been taken apart, and certainly not by me

I think the issue is pretty clear now, I need to order a gasket set and find the old torque wrench. Or may be just live with it and the spring contraption to keep the choke open, and be done with it

Thanks a lot to Yellow, Jim, Everett!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButternutYellow View Post
I need to order a gasket set and find the old torque wrench. Or may be just live with it and the spring contraption to keep the choke open, and be done with it. Thanks a lot to Yellow, Jim, Everett!
If you do decide to pull the intake, turn it over and you will see a heat shield riveted to the the bottom.

The rivets will come easily with a pair locking jaw pliers and a LH twist to remove them. Remove the shield and I bet you will find the whole void filled with cooked oil. This shield is to prevent the oil form coking by the exhaust heat flowing through the intake. Chip it out, drill a couple drain holes in the shield, clean the rivets and their holes with lacquer thinner or BraKleen, and Loctite them into place.

Use a coat hanger to clean out the intake and the cylinder heads. Good luck. You're welcome.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Use a coat hanger to clean out the intake and the cylinder heads
Sounds like a really inviting job!
Thanks again, guys, you've been a lot of help

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 06:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

You are welcome ! That is why I come here to help and be helped.

Jeff
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 06:31 PM

I heard a joke a long time ago, can't remember the joke, but it had to do with a coat hanger and an abortion. Now any time someone mentions a coat hanger I remember that part of the joke and get a visual.

Please don't ask me to describe what I see, lol, I might get banned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode