What Engine for my 67 will work? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

What Engine for my 67 will work?

I have a 67 HP 327 that I have removed and put in storage. I am really afraid of blowing it up and damaging it, since I will be driving it a lot. Everyone says this original motor is what gives my car its value. I want to put in my Camaro an engine that will look like an original 327. I realize that the original Engine Stamp will give it away if someone is looking, but that does not make a difference to me. I just want to be able to use my original intake, install my A/C bracket, alternator, power steering, etc and make it look original when I open the hood. What crate motor can I buy that will accomplish this or do I have to stick with a 327 for a guaranty. I know I can use other small blocks. I bought a 350 (1970) from a truck and A/C bracket holes were not there. How do I know all the different small blocks that will work and look perfect??? There are lots of used ones for sale and I don't need another boat anchor!!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: What Engine for my 67 will work?

Your concerns are caused by a factor we see all too often in this sport now. Value. Not good. We need to be free to enjoy our cars instead of hand-wringging ourselves to an early stress-death.
OK, a suggestion; hmmm, on second thought, I can't think of a solution for your mindset. You want everything to look original without the original parts. Right? Maybe you should turn your car into a garage queen and use it only for cruises and shows. Hmmmm,,,,,
And WELCOME!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

May I ask what 327 is it? 210 horse I presume? How much are you beating this car that you think you will blow it up. My engine is 327 .010 over, modified origional and I've racked up 13K miles in 4 years and I occasionally beat it. But not like I'm at the track.
Free will designates your decision. My free will is between my fenders.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCam View Post
I I bought a 350 (1970) from a truck and A/C bracket holes were not there.
What A/C bracket holes werent there? If you mean the ones in the front of the heads you dont have the original heads on your 327.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

If you got the original engine I wouldn't care what other engine you put in it. If you going to sell it in the future the buyer I believe will prefer your attitude considering he's looking at a 500Hp 427 in the compartment and the original is in the Crate. Build it to test your ability and for Fun. Don't even consider a Trailer Queen that will give you a heart attack worrying about money if it gets a scratch.

If you're concerned about Gas Prices put a Volvo B20 in her - remember you got the Original as a Crate Engine -

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

most rebuilt old school 350's will resemble your 327 to most folks... most people don't even know what year your car is anymore nevermind what the engine is supposed to look like ... my car is a clone and everyone looking at my engine always thinks that its a 302 even tho there isnt a part on the engine that is from a Z28 your alternator and everything should readily bolt up to any pre 80's block .. some heads may or may not have the three accessory bolt holes in front of them that you will have to research when you buy them...I wouldnt worry about using or not using the original intake .. any stock chevy intake will make believers out of most folks that look at your engine ... just put an old school rochester carb on the top with a stock air cleaner and you will fool 80% of the population out there.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 04:41 AM

Put a 283 Power Pack engine in it and drive her as hard as you want to! And you will still get good gas mileage, imho!!

It will look stock!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode