vortec temperature sensor 3/8" - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

vortec temperature sensor 3/8"

I have done a search and have not found an answer yet. I just installed vortec heads on my 327. The coolant temperature sensor for the vortec's is 3/8" npt and the stock sensor for a car with gauges is a 1/2" npt. I saw in an old post standard parts numbers for original sensor TS-6 and smaller threads, TS-26. I went to the parts store and we looked it up and the TS-26 looks like it's for idiot lights and not guage.

We found some sensors that would thread in and had a workable wire connection but they all had really high resistance. Around 1500-3000 ohm's compared to the stock 380 ohms at 100F for the original.

Has anyone found a sensor that works successfully? I would like to keep the sensor in the head.

Murph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech

Re: vortec temperature sensor 3/8"

get a gauge sensor for a mid 80's Chevy truck that has a temp gauge. or a Monte Carlo SS. or Camaro. or pretty much anything that has a temp gauge.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 08, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
T

When I moved to 305 heads, I had the same problem. I looked around a LOT and could not find a "drop-in" coolant sensor. Stock sensor is 72-82 ohms @220 degF with 1/2-14 NPT thread.

Closest I could find was the TS-76 sensor which is 3/8-18 NPT and 138-156 ohms @220 degF. Just look up the part for 81 camaro or firebird w/ 305. This will be kind of "close" to original, but the temperature gauge will always read low unless you adjust the resistor on the back of the gauge or do something else to shift the resistance.

I had posted some info on that (as well as the temp vs. resistance info for the stock bits) here:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1024554

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 08, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks for the info. The TS6051 has the wrong threads. I got the TS6641 and now wonder what the proper resistance will be needed to add to the gauge to get it to read correctly.

Murph
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 06:02 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

I had the same problem and had the larger sending unit cut down and rethreaded to fit in the head from a local machine shop.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=a69rs

White 69 RS 350/350HP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A69RS View Post
I had the same problem and had the larger sending unit cut down and rethreaded to fit in the head from a local machine shop.
The next best fix, keep the sending unit for the inst cluster, not the heads.
The best fix is to redrill & tap the head and keep the same unit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
erik

I had a similar problem when I installed the sensor for my Spal fan control since I used a sensor for a late model car but didn't want to run in the head and couldn't run in the intake because of cooler lines. Speedway Motors has an adaptor to intall a 3/8 to a 1/2 port just for cooling senors, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7198...quot;-NPT.html

This is the one I used and it worked great since I couldn't get anything with the 3/8 npt locally
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumper View Post
I had a similar problem when I installed the sensor for my Spal fan control since I used a sensor for a late model car but didn't want to run in the head and couldn't run in the intake because of cooler lines. Speedway Motors has an adaptor to intall a 3/8 to a 1/2 port just for cooling senors, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7198...quot;-NPT.html

This is the one I used and it worked great since I couldn't get anything with the 3/8 npt locally
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That link above is dead. I think I found the part you were talking about, though:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mechan...hort,7197.html

The above adaptor is "short". The one below is "long". Real descriptive!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Water-...apters,94.html

1969 / 350 / TH350 / 3.73 posi / driver
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Well, I was wrong. I got the short fitting today and it's way too small, diameter-wise. There is no way the standard temp sender for gauges, will fit in it. Looks like I'm off to visit the machine shop to have them tap it down.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

After having no luck finding a fitting to fit between the correct sensor and the head, I went to the dealer to see about one for an 80's Camaro with gauges...It was $75 ! So I passed on it, and went to Advance Auto and bought it for about $12. I still have the issue of it having the wrong resistance value, but perhaps this can be dealt with over time.

If you're adding Vortec heads to your engine, I highly recommend having the hole in the head tapped out for the original sending unit. Wish I would have thought of that first!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode