Engine break-in - Dyno or car? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 19th, 08, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Engine break-in - Dyno or car?

Team, I will soon take delivery of a brand new Deluxe ZZ502 crate motor. My question is, should I pay the money to get this run-in on an engine dyno or do I keep the cash and do it myself once installed? Costs for an Engine Dyno break-in are considerable, but does the benefit justify the cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 08, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Re: Engine break-in - Dyno or car?

I think if your set up your shop right you can do it at home and save yourself some $ ... get your self a big fan to push air through the rad so you don't over heat while getting her set up to run...

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Aug 19th, 08, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Good advice. On this note, if I do it myself, what is the best way to go about it? What are the steps I should follow?

Old Aug 19th, 08, 08:18 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

It's a roller cam'd engine there really isn't a need to break in the cam and any other break-in would be best accomplished driving the car... In the published spec's it has a break in section, it talks about starting the engine, setting the timing to 10 btdc, warming the engine up and verifying the total is 32 btdc and driving the car for 30 miles varing the rpm but not going WOT, here it is, scroll down to middle of page 4...

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...ngine_Base.pdf

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Aug 19th, 08, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

God I love this forum! Thanks for the PDF, it has just made up my mind to run-in the motor myself (and save some $$!).
Old Aug 19th, 08, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

ok, heres a question for you guys.. lets say you just got done building a fresh engine, but still have a ton of body work to be done, but you really really cant wait to start and hear the great sound of your new engine.. how do you properly break it in if it cant be driven on the street?

is it really a requirement to actually drive the car to brake the rings in, or can it just be done in neutral by just varying the rpms.. or even with the rear end jacked up and in gear?

im far away from this, but its still useful info.. and from what i hear, moly rings do not have to be broken in?
Old Aug 20th, 08, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

the actual process of seating the rings/breaking in sometimes requires many miles of driving so i would say that you could not do this while in your garage .. that said .. theres no reason why you couldnt run it bring it up to temperature get your carb and timing set up .. run it for about 30 min if you dont have any over heating problems .. than shut it down.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

Old Aug 21st, 08, 12:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I saw someone crank the motor up on an engine stand , locked down of course , just to get it to idle and heat up . Think it was Tim, the Wolfman.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Old Aug 21st, 08, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
WES

Hi... We dyno all our engines prior to install into car, and out of 29 have lost 2 camshaft failure 1 to oil leak.Cost up here is 400.00 1/2 day and it is well worth it.PLUS we all want to put to much timing to much carb and on the machine it is alot easier to get it close. plus if it goes bad in the car the work to take it back out without damage.. just some thoughts.Plus it is fully broke in,and usually the idle and off idle is set up alond with the distand curve....Wes
Old Aug 21st, 08, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I would seriously consider the dyno breakin if I was buying a new assembled engine.
I'd say it's worth $500 (if it included jetting and timing TUNING, and a fully instrumented full power run once that was done.)

Just lnowing it's not gonna leak a drop of oil would be nice.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Aug 21st, 08, 03:39 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

In the last 3 years, I'm done 3 eninge Dyno's and 3 chassis dyno's..
I paid $500-$600 for the engine Dyno, and about $100 for each of the chassis dynos.

If you do it yourself, and have good Karma, you should be fine, but there is no going back.
If something happens during the break-in, and you did it in your garage, with no one around to colaberate, then you're stuck.

If you spend the money on a profesional shop and take video, the engine builder won't argue.
$500 for a $5000 enigne is cheap insurance.
I realize we all hate throwing money away on insurance,
...but two of my engines I broke in on the engine dyno, went back for warranty w/video, no questions asked..
Old Aug 21st, 08, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I break most of my engines on a stand with a radiator and big fan. It is much easier and like said above if you have an oil leak you can fix it easily.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Old Aug 21st, 08, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Will

Mine is going on the dyno for a couple of reasons 1. so I am not messing with the motor while working over my freshly painted fenders, . 2. tuning the motor to get the max HP ,and not by the way it feels on the road.,3 if I have any oil leaks get them fixed on the stand instead of in or under the car. 4 I will know exactly how many ponies are under the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in