Prothane motor mount problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Prothane motor mount problem

Here's what I have: ZZ/4 350, Prothane motor mounts # 69074 and NPD frame mounts C-0029-4AP. I can't get the engine to "sit down" on these frame mounts. Take a look at the photos and you can see what my problem is. I even removed the mounts from the engine and tried to mate them up to the frame mounts, but no luck. The polyurethane material is hitting the frame mount preventing the bolt from being able to be run through the holes. Anyone else running this combo? What frame mounts are you using?

I took these pictures without moving the engine between shots. Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Prothane motor mount problem

I am not familiar with the prothane mounts or what NPD's frame brackets are. What year is your car ? What frame mounts were used ? What engine mounts are used ? Don't tell me small block, because there are more than just small block mounts. I would recommend '69 302/350 frame mounts and the tall and narrow ('69) engine mounts. From the pictures I am guessing that you have the short and wide engine mounts (67-68) and not the tall and narrow of 1969.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 05:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Re: Prothane motor mount problem

I suspect the fitment issue is with the repro stands. I had the same issues and went back to original frame stands - everything fit fine then.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

Last edited by RickD; Aug 20th, 08 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 06:22 AM
Tech Team
Derek

I know from measuring that some engine mounts (using original GM, repro rubber and/or polyurethane) and reproduction frame stands can be "snug" when new, and unfortunately there are not any original GM frame stands available directly from GM anymore (most have been discontinued for a while). NPD sells Energy Suspension and they are about .03" narrower between the mounting "ears" versus the original rubber or repro rubber mounts.

Derek

Project Manager, National Parts Depot

1970 Chevy Nova
-BBC, Procharger and wheelies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

My car is a '69, the frame mounts are for a 302,350 according to NPD. The engine mounts were part of prothane's 7-2002 kit, the only number I have is the 69074 that is stamped on it. I'm converting over from a six to the ZZ/4, so I don't have the original frame mounts. I called Prothane yesterday, but was sent to voice mail and haven't got a call back yet .
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 07:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I got my repros to bolt up by grinding out the bolt holes. Maybe some stands will show up on ebay or in the classified.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

I have an original set of v-8 frame brackets off the frame. I can measure them and give you the dim's if you want. Can't sell them as they are going back on the car.

Also keep in mind the aftermarket motor mounts don't take into account the spread when the weight of the motor is on them. This is the problem with most solid motormounts like Moroso or Mr G.

'68 Camaro SS. Dealer for American made performance & restoration parts.
Check my site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
I have an original set of v-8 frame brackets off the frame. I can measure them and give you the dim's if you want.
I'd appreciate that . I talked to NPD, they are sending me a different mount to try. I'll have it tomorow afternoon. Kevin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

I didn't forget about you. I am looking for the mounts in my disaster of a garage. Somebody moved them but no one remembers where!

Check my site
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisboy View Post
I didn't forget about you. I am looking for the mounts in my disaster of a garage. Somebody moved them but no one remembers where!
Sounds familiar T.S Fay is parked just about right over our head, so I'm getting lots of other things done these last three days.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 12:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If it helps, I used the Energy Suspension 3.114 short wide mounts on my stock 302-350 towers, bolts basically fall in place.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Can't find the mounts (idiots!!!!!) But I did find theis link in the archives from Pozzi. This has the dims for the frame and engine mounts. http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

Check my site
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 08:13 PM

Smile Re: Prothane motor mount problem

I have all poly under my 496 on NOS BB frame mounts and after it was all said and done w/, I wished that I would have bought new NOS '67 6-banger/350SS motor rip apart rubber mounts up front and just drilled them, countersunk one side and bolted them together w/ Grade-8 stuff like I did back then before the GM MM recall letter came out!!

I say all this b/c they sit like at least 3/8" lower than the new poly mounts do which would give me my much needed like a 1/2" hood clearance and they would be locked together so they CAN'T come apart!!

pdq67

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Thats why my car has a motorplate!

Check my site
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcart55 View Post
I'm converting over from a six to the ZZ/4, so I don't have the original frame mounts.
My car was originally a 6 and converted to to a SB 327 when I bought it. Based upon the overall condition of the car and trhe way things were done by previous owners, I can almost guarantee that the frame stands were not swapped out. Perhaps you can make your 6 cyl mounts work too?

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode