Rebuilt 350 Break-In - Overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rebuilt 350 Break-In - Overheating

Just got my 350 back together for the 2nd time, after some head issues. Started the new cam break-in today and everything started right up and went straight to 2200 rpms. Motor ran great, really smooth considering no tuning. After about 12 minutes I noticed that the temp was still rising above 190, I cut it off before it got to 220. Had 3 shop fans blowing on the radiator. Changed to a larger radiator and checked to make sure the thermostat worked. Placed it in boiling water and it opened up almost immedately. Did bore two 3/16 holes on the perimeter to help burping. It is one of those fail safe jobs from Oreillys. Water pump is new from Oreillys. Started the car a couple more times after checking a few things but usually after about 5 to 7 minutes the temp rose past 210 and I would cut it off, again the motor ran fine with no missing. None of the hoses had collapsed. The larger radiator we put on had the tanks on the bottom and top. I noticed the last time the top tank was so hot you couldn't touch it but the bottom tank was just warm. Checked the oil and didn't seem to have water in it, wasn't milky, just looked like the Rotella I put in it earlier. Any suggestions? Not having much luck with this rebuild Thanks!

Tim

1968 RSSS BB 396/325 AC TH-400 Black/Red (Sold)
1969 Nova SS 350 M-20 Red/Black (Original)
1967 Chevelle SS (Clone)(Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Rebuilt 350 Break-In - Overheating

Oriellys parts may be your problem. I may be the exception but I have been through two faulty clutches in a 97 SS and count them, 4, yes 4 faulty air codition compressers in less than a year in my wifes Honda. I have them professionally installed. They keep replacing them under warranty but I am at the point with this one where I am just going to cough up the money on something different. Water pump, thermastat, fan or the need for a bigger radiator is all I can think of. Faulty temp reading maybe?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oreillys may be the problem. I wonder if the waterpump isn't creating enough circulation? Had 2 ways to check temp and they were within 10 degrees.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might try a high-flow thermostat, MRG-4864. Water only? Makes for the best heat transfer fluid than 50/50 mix.

If rad is transferring heat, hot tank and warm tank, good. But flow through the system maybe slow.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 04:18 PM

Do you have any aftermarket pulleys on your set-up? I have seen problems with underdriving the water pump give heating problems.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I think the other suggestions are more probable, but you might want to think about your motor build. This didn't happen to me- but a buddy of mine had a motor built with a crank that ended up not being true. Caused the motor to overheat constantly.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Any chance you are installing the thermostat upside down?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hope crank is true, machine shop was suppose to check it out. Bottom end of engine went together good. The block is bored .040 over, wouldn't think that was the problem, maybe if it was .060.

Theromostat is installed correctly, did initially think of that, went and bought the Mr. Gasket High-Flow 180 this morning. Also, purchased a new clutch for the fan, think the old one was bad. After this, the only thing that I have not changed is the Oreillys water pump, it was new not remanufactured. Guess that doesn't mean anything these days. I'll post back the results. Thanks!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Samething, engine ran for about 7 minutes and temp got to 210 and I cut it off. Went and bought another new waterpump. Going to give that a try, if that doesn't fix it I'm clueless!

Why would the top of the radiator, top/bottom mount tanks, be the hottest? Shouldn't the hot water from the block be pumped through the waterpump into the bottom of the rad and return, after cooling in the rad, back to the intake on top?

Last edited by tim68rsss; Aug 24th, 08 at 09:32 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 09:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Is the fan shroud installed? Correct fan spacer? Don't ask me how I know about these problems!

67 3L 4P Project Car

I just had to have some wings.

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim68rsss View Post
Why would the top of the radiator, top/bottom mount tanks, be the hottest? Shouldn't the hot water from the block be pumped through the waterpump into the bottom of the rad and return, after cooling in the rad, back to the intake on top?
Rad inlet is at the top from the intake. Outlet of rad feeds to water pump.

Water pump pumps cooled coolant from radiator bottom tank/outlet through the block to the heads and out the intake to the top tank/inlet if side tank.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Installed new waterpump and samething, 210 degrees at about 7 minutes running at 2200 rpms, water boiling out of overflow tube. Tested new 180 high-flow thermostat and it opened fine. New fan clutch and fan belt installed.

Could the cylinder walls be too thin with a .040 over bore. Have heard of this with bores at .060. The block is a 1974 4-bolt truck motor, think last three casting numbers are 010.

No, don't have the shroud on there but do have three shop fans blowing from different directions.

We've changed everything on the outside, guess the problem is internal Just can't figure it because it runs soooo good and smooth. Any suggestions????

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

are you making sure you are properly bleeding the cooling system of air?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 11:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim68rsss View Post
The heated coolant flows from the top of the intake into the radiator, cools as it flows down, and then out the bottom of the radiator back through the engine. With that said, are you sure you don't have thermostat in upside down? The side with the expansion spring should be installed down into the intake.

Andrew

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
are you making sure you are properly bleeding the cooling system of air?
This is a problem I had in my Trailblazer SS. I had a UD Pulley on and when they put everything together they didnt bleed the system of air.I over heated. I took the cap off let the motor circulate the coolant and started to add more coolant while it was circulating until I saw no more bubbles. You may have to message your hoses too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode