Timing question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Timing question

I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem. My 69 camaro has an 396 L78 rebuilt many years ago. The old motor runs good and you can advance and retard the timing with the dist. as you should, but if you put a timing light on it, the timing mark is way off the scale before TDC. The block is a 4 bolt out of a 68 chevelle. Is it possible to mismatch the balancer and the block. This timing scale is at about 2 Oclock on the drivers side. The timing light shows the mark at about 11 or 12 Oclock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Timing question

I had the same problem with mine. I bought a tool from snap on and put it in the #1 hole and turned over the engine by hand. Making sure it was on the compression stroke I rotated the engine and watched the marks on the tool as the piston moved up. I was able to get a rough estimate for TDC and looked at my existing marks. It turned out that the marks I was seeing with my timing light were other marks made... not the actual timing mark on the dampner. Problem solved. Do a search on timing and you'll find a lot of good info.

Robert

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

There are several different timing tags maybe the issue

This is covered in many resent posts
Find Real TDC on #1
Plull the plug, turn over by hand or bump turn with your finger over the hole
u will feel pressure starting
Then wind up by hand, till u can feel the piston with a small screw driver thru the spark plug hole
u will feel the piston get near the top stop as u keep turning then feel as it drops
mark balancer as it comes to a stop comimhg up and mark as it starts to go down
The 1/2 way piont between them is damn near TDC...close enough within a couple degs or better.
Now compare this posstion with the timing marks u have.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I know how to find TDC. and have done so. I just couldn't understand why the Origional GM timing mark was so far off.I'm thinking someone changed the crank and balancer and they don't match the position of the timing scale on the block. I'll make a new timing mark and not worry about it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Brett

The ring on your balancer may have slipped.

Brett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I'll make a new timing mark and not worry about it.
yes
Quote:
The ring on your balancer may have slipped.
yes its not uncommon not to replace a balancer on a rebuild
Best to replace it
Check u have the right tag, also common

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 11:54 AM
Team Member
John

Probably a 1969 balancer with a pre-1969 timing cover - the timing index line on the balancer moved 10* CCW in '69, and the tab on the timing cover did too.

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode