Age Old Saga: QJet vs Holly- Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Age Old Saga: QJet vs Holly- Help!

I am building a 383 stroker for my camaro and want opinions on which style 750 carb to put on. We all have our favorites but do you guys see any advantages to the two styles for a 383 stroker making 405 horse and 425 TQ? Will probably mate to a TH350.

Thanks!

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Re: Age Old Saga: QJet vs Holly- Help!

holley.. i wouldnt even consider a qjet
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

Q-jet - I wouldn't even consider a Holley.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Camaro Guy View Post
405 horse and 425 TQ? Will probably mate to a TH350.

Thanks!
That mild, an Edelbrock 750(1407???),,,,,,wouldn't even consider a Holley or Qjet .
all good carbs imo

Tim Smith
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

1407= no choke 750 edel
I wouldn't consider buying an edelbrock if your a gear head and do a lot of tuning, they may be easy but you can only do so much with them, internal float adjustments, idle mixture is basically the only tuning you can do before you have to buy the $50.00 tuning kit, and you still have to dis assemble the entire carb (almost) to replace jets...

Q-jet is a excellent carb, use a modded after market one for high horse power, or buy a holley if you don't want to buy a modded Q-jet.
Holley is a better performance carb in my opinion than edelbrock.
Edelbrocks best product are intakes (and thats the only product buy them I would consider buying again) well, Weiand just about has them beat with the stealth, team-g and just about every other intake they have.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech

[QUOTE=ace's68;1052212]1407= no choke 750 edel
I wouldn't consider buying an edelbrock if your a gear head and do a lot of tuning, they may be easy but you can only do so much with them, internal float adjustments, idle mixture is basically the only tuning you can do before you have to buy the $50.00 tuning kit, and you still have to dis assemble the entire carb (almost) to replace jets...
QUOTE]

I see you are not speaking from experience and didnt mean the dis-information.. but.... You can do a lot of tuning and easily with an edelbrock/ carter..maybe you can do more with a Holley with 2 metering blocks, but you can do a lot with an eddy and you do not need to buy any $50 tuning kit. You got it Bass ackwards.. it is a Holley that is more of a pain to disassemble to change jets with gas spilt all over the intake unless you remove it from the engine. With the edelbrock, you can leave it on the engine, pop off the top and change jets without spilling a drop of fuel. Even before that, you can change metering rods and springs by only loosening one screw.

The #1407 has a manual choke.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A fuel mixer is a fuel mixer is a fuel mixer...

To say one brand or design is inherently better than another is kinda silly.

I'd say the biggest factor is getting something that you, a friend, or someone you can hire, knows how to tune.

And tuning is a lot more than adjusting the idle screw....

Any carb is gonna need to be tweeked to match any given engine, tho paying careful attention to part #'s, factory jetting, and intended use.

A good example of not paying attention is that ede's 1406 is thier most sold carb. It's setup and jetted for stock replacement use on stock engines. A 1407 on the other hand is a performance carb, no choke, jetted much richer to start with.

I prefer carbs with metering rods. They are MORE adjustable (and more qickly-easily adjustable) than carbs without. I'd favor q-jet / carter / ede over holleys for this reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

off topic but someone should dyno 2 different brand carbs of the same cfm flow on a motor and tune the carbs to proper a/f ratio and see who the winner really is to quiet this topic down, or raise more controversy.

I speak from owning an edelbrock 1407, I'll never do it again, I was referring to having to change float levels by taking the top off instead of setting them by screw (most holleys), with the motor running. there intakes are good though.

For racing applications: If Edelbrock/Carter is such a good design why do most racing engine builders use a holley design? I haven't ever seen an Edelbrock on a dragster and most door cars.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 01:34 AM
Senior Tech
Levi

I think Holley would just have to go with the win. I hear that q-jets are pretty mean when you get them all tuned up which takes alot of time and most times money. Demons are good too if you want to pump alot of gas in there. I think weind makes a superior intake manifold too...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 02:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I guess if a Ron's injection system is not an option then I would go Holley for sure. If you are into originality I guess you would use a Q-Jet but that would be the only reason I would see to do so.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 08, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech

the best carb in the world is a qjet that is working right. the worst carb in the world is qjet that is NOT working right. you will have both sooner or later. no matter what they say, you can not rebuild the qjet.the Holley runs great all the time, and rebuilds easy as good as new. the elde does great too and is adjustable with jets etc. very easy, not quite as smooth as the holley, trial by fire, and years of swapping carbs.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 01:21 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Put it this way a Holley is by far the easiest Carb to work on and parts are easily available. I've a 750Dp that I've run for over 30 years and the only thing I've did to it was dissemble it and change gaskets every few years or so. That same carb WITH OUT Jet Changes will work on a Hi-Revving 327 or a 454.

If by chance you have a problem like a sticking float at at Red Light intersection, you can dissemble the carb right there on the spot while it's on the engine, make the adjustment or repair, replace that broken rocker and be on the way before the next light change - LOL.

Q-Jets do work great when setup but working on them is another story. The Edlebrock's I've seen do look to be very nice but what's the point when a Holley does everything you want it to do.

Right now I run a Holley HP NASCAR 830Dp Annular Booster with 4 corner idle resting on and Edlebrock Air Gap for my 460 BBC and it's like I had Fuel Injection.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 27th, 08 at 01:34 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Ron, I beg to differ as far as the Holley being the easist to work on. I can do a jet change in my Edelbrock in 2 minutes, literally. I just did one this morning and it took me longer to get the tools and the hood open and air cleaner off than it did to do the jet change and a rod and spring change are even faster and all this is with the carb bolted to the intake.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 05:27 PM
Team Member

A Q-Jet has a nice 1/4" NPT port for power brake booster and clearance for a OEM vacuum fitting on the manifold. Yeah... I'm partial to the Q-Jet.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 08, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

add them all up =
see, i told ya'! holley 1st unless you like working on carbs all the time, elde if you like to tinker. me, i just like to kick it and go. (holley) p.s. a 750 is a lot of carb, 650 will scream! with the majority of set ups. you will find a 750 dumps a lot of waste gas unless you have a big chamber motor. just a personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode